Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stabilo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a computer that is good value for under $350 US. I am looking for something that will do nitrox and take me to wreck and cave diving. The uwatec aladin tec 2 and mares puck computer look good to me. Is there any other wrist computers you would recommend?

If you plan on wreck/cave diving, then a good backlight is an important feature.

User replaceable batteries is generally a good feature, but not critical if you have a local dealer.
Most modern entry-level computers provide air and nitrox capability.
Gauge mode is useful, if you will ever dive using tables (entry level tech etc).

I'd recommend the Suunto Vyper or D4.

i went through full cave with a dive rite nitek plus. i don't think that model is still available, but whatever the current 2 gas model is should work great.

personal opinion - if you're really trying to get some time out of this computer, it's likely you should spend for a 2 gas model. if you want to save up for something more deco-friendly like a shearwater or x1 or vr, you can go cheap now & start putting aside your pennies for a couple of years from now. but a one-gas computer isn't your best choice for more advanced dives with more than one gas.

Oceanic's VEO 2.0 fits your desire, and it's not as conservative as others. I give it a two thumbs up!

Oceanic's VEO 2.0 fits your desire, and it's not as conservative as others. I give it a two thumbs up!

I was thinking GEO - any reason for the VEO preference? I liked that the GEO doubles as a watch. The display is still large enought to read with middle aged eyes. Just curious.

Suunto Vyper is an OK nitrox computer, the only I have used, but the backlight is on not more than 30 sec at a time. I guess many dive computers may share this "feature". Re-enabling the backlight on Vyper requires "just" a press of a large button, but doing that every 30 sec while controlling your ascent sucks. With the default screen protector (can be removed) and while wearing dry gloves the experience is really frustrating. I hate it. If something unexpected happens in complete darkness, you have two problems to solve: 1) the actual problem and 2) enabling the backlight or pointing the dive light. Yes, you guessed it. 1+2=3.

For daylight/dusk dives I like the Vyper (the screen is decently readable in low light without backlighting), but when in complete darkness, I just hate each second. Pointing the dive light towards the computer just to check depth and ascent/descent rate is annoying.

I would want an OLED machine (like OSTC) instead. They are, however, three times the price of a Vyper.

As a cave diver you have plenty of light so no problem there. Just some annoying moments during long slow ascents...

Vyper also records the water temperature, but only at the beginning, max depth and end. No air integration. Vyper2 has constant temperature logging.

... but I choose the Vyper over ANY dive computer that resembles a small watch. Big buttons and a large screen and large fonts are my minimum requirement. I have used my Vyper (and a dive light) to ascend from 90 feet in 3 feet visibility. So not completely useless...

On a cave dive you probably want redundant equipment. A Vyper could be your backup in gauge mode. Get Vyper now, it's decently priced, and a more advanced computer next year.

Suunto Vyper is an OK nitrox computer, the only I have used, but the backlight is on not more than 30 sec at a time. I guess many dive computers may share this "feature".

It's a battery life issue.

... but I choose the Vyper over ANY dive computer that resembles a small watch. Big buttons and a large screen and large fonts are my minimum requirement.

Fair point. Small, watch sized, dive computers are fine for tropical diving, but the small screen and small buttons can be a negative issue in low viz and when wearing thick gloves. The OP is from Australia, so this may not be a big issue for him though?

I use a D9 for most of my diving (not tech)... it has a big, bright display even though it is a small watch-sized computer. The buttons are just as easy to access as my Vyper.

personal opinion - if you're really trying to get some time out of this computer, it's likely you should spend for a 2 gas model. if you want to save up for something more deco-friendly like a shearwater or x1 or vr, you can go cheap now & start putting aside your pennies for a couple of years from now. but a one-gas computer isn't your best choice for more advanced dives with more than one gas.

Bad advice IMHO. He's a novice diver on a budget, with a long way to go before he'd need a multi-gas computer. By the time he requires a 2-3 gas function, the computer technology and available alogrythms will have doubtless been considerably improved.... meaning that his current model computer would be quite out-of-date.

I thought conservative was a good thing? :wink:

At least...that's what the books say...

Take a look at the Subgear XP 10. Similar to the Aladin Tec 2, but not all of the advanced features. Great starter computer, or back up. I believe the wrist mount is under $300. Start with that and if you want to upgrade later, it can easly become your backup.

Bad advice IMHO. He's a novice diver on a budget, with a long way to go before he'd need a multi-gas computer. By the time he requires a 2-3 gas function, the computer technology and available alogrythms will have doubtless been considerably improved.... meaning that his current model computer would be quite out-of-date.

it's advice based on what he says he wants, something to take him through wreck & cave. i agree on not getting a big oled out of the chute, but in the us, cave means deco, so 2 gas is a minimum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom