Computer: Stick with used D6 or go entry level?

Be happy with the D6 and don't think about it anymore?

• Sell it and buy new entry level comp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell it and buy a different secondhand comp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm just getting back into diving, eventually I'll probably be an instructor (I teach other adventure sports), but right now it's all about being frugal and me and the GF are just looking into Advanced Open Water now.

I picked up a secondhand D6 from a retired divemaster for $150. He said it had just been sent in for a new battery and pressure testing with Suunto and it looks like it's working fine (out of the water anyway, haven't got to test it yet).

Do you pros think I should stick with this as my first computer? Or try to sell it and go for a new entry level one? (Mares Puck Pro?)

I'm all about long term durability/dependability at an affordable price and don't give a lick about looks, and I'm sure once I'm well enough along I'll upgrade to a fancier one, but that's a problem for future me.

nothing wrong with a d6 and if the goal is frugality then use it until you decide you NEED something else. many on this board steer away from suunto because of algorithms and customer support but there are fervent supporters, particularly in Europe and middle east. At the very least use it until you have more experience to determine if you have a different need.

Hey, welcome to SB. Use the one you have for sure.

For a basic open water diver - the model of dive computer you have is of relatively little importance as long as it works and you can read it. What is very important, is to learn how it works and what it’s telling you. Study the manual thoroughly! Saw a supposedly experienced diver just a few weeks ago and his computer had gone into deco and he didn’t even realize it. That’s what is important to understand.

Get lots of practice. Keep diving. Meanwhile, read and learn as much as you can so that when you decide to invest, you can make an informed choice.

ETA: I am not a "pro", just a diver with an opinion.

There's no reason to dump the D6. "Advanced" in dive computers means extra features rather than higher risk.

In fact, the number one complaint about Suunto computers is that they are too conservative with their deco limits. Which is fine for a beginning diver who is typically going to be even more limited by how fast they run through their gas.

So use it now. You'll have a better idea of what you want when it's time to replace it. Or since you plan on being an instructor, your employer may require you to use one of the computers they sell.

Or try to sell it and go for a new entry level one? (Mares Puck Pro?)

As much as I don't like Suunto and their terrible customer service, I'd keep it and use it until you decide later that you need something with more features or more advanced. The Mares Puck Pro isn't a better dive computer than the D6 btw.

“...looks like it's working fine (out of the water anyway, haven't got to test it yet)”

Umm..of course you have no idea if it’s working until you take it under water.

No sense turning around and selling it now -- it has already depreciated significantly to $150. If you use it for awhile and decide to sell it later, you can probably get most of that $150 back. Don't worry too much about the specifics on which computer is "better" than another right now, just get out there, dive, and have fun :)

I'm just getting back into diving, eventually I'll probably be an instructor (I teach other adventure sports), but right now it's all about being frugal and me and the GF are just looking into Advanced Open Water now.
This has to be a first. Looks like you got consensus. That’s not easy to do on SB.

I’d recommend keeping it, assuming it works, for a couple reasons.
1. You are a fairly new diver. No sense in spending more money on an entry level computer at this point. It would suck to spend money on a computer only to find it’s not suitable for where you are headed with your diving.
2. You mentioned possibly getting into instructing in the near future. If you do that, this might be the time to upgrade. Assuming you are instructing for a dive shop. Dive Shop owners like (or require) using gear that they sell during courses.

This has to be a first. Looks like you got consensus. That’s not easy to do on SB.

I feel like that I should change my vote and recommendations just to keep up with SB traditions :)

At $150, you got a very good price (there are a couple available on eBay for $250 and $400). It is a fully functional DC, with Nitrox and 2-gas capability, digital compass, etc. If you can easily read the display, underwater in dim light conditions, you definitely should keep it. Even if you buy another, higher end computer in the future, this would still be a nice back-up.

Back
Top Bottom