Computer question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrx3000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning my first liveaboard (only about 3 days). Have a question I could not find a definite answer to.
What happens if my computer breaks down during the trip? Let's say on the very first day of diving.
Do I have to wait 24 hours from the last dive? Start using tables? :)

Dive two computers.

Will depend on dives on day 1.

May be able to rent a computer. Check ahead.

Do I have to wait 24 hours from the last dive? Start using tables? :)

Well, if you're on the boat, don't have a backup computer and announce what happened...you might not get to make the call.

If you don't announce it, then I suppose you get to decide what to do.

I suggest diving 2 computers; I do, and oh yes, one crapped out on me on the last dive of a live-aboard trip in the Caymans.

Richard.

I don't dive often enough to justify an expense of another computer. Just curious as to what the options are "in the unlikely event" :)

Dive tables then, though some local government regulations may have requirements that every diver dives with a computer. In that case you’d have to rent one but it won’t have the right tissue loading. Honestly, you can grab an inexpensive used backup for a little more than $100. It’s worth the peace of mind and to avoid the hassle for that what if.

Tables is an option, plan more conservative profiles.and number of dives.

It depends on how many people are on the boat, but in a situation like that I would not be surprised if a fellow diver on the trip didn't let you use one of their backup computers.

2nd computer is the answer for sure. On my first trip I was including calculating my pressure group and residual nitrogen for my logbook on the first day but with extended bottom times on the deeper dives I quickly exceeded what a table would allow. After that trip I caved and purchased a basic Nitrox compatible backup computer on sale. With ~4.5 hours of bottom time a day, it's good to have redundancy IMHO.

If you are worried about your computer failing, rent a second computer from the boat. Most of the boats I go on make you use a computer and when I have seen people lose or break their computer the boats have always had loaners.

Just went through this issue for our LDS group of 18 doing a 13 day live-a-board in 3 weeks. As the LDS, we require all group members to have 2 computers just, "in the unlikely event". We state that you can own or rent the second one. Truthfully, we'd be hard pressed to allow someone in the group to have a rental for their primary unless they really demonstrate that they know how to operate it. In discussions with the live-a-board folks, the boat also requires that every diver have a computer. So, per boat rules, if your only computer tracking your dives fails, you are out of the water for 24 hours and not allowed back in without another computer. Please check on your boat's rules because relying on doing the tables may not be an option.
If buying a second computer is cost prohibited, rent one. Recommend you rent from your local dive shop so they can spend the right amount of time showing you how it works. Also agree with Cali_diver that most boats do have "loaners". As previously stated, good, used computers can be had for less than a week's rental. Just make sure you know everyone's requirements before planning your course of action. Don't rely on us SBers to "guess" what those rules may be. Good luck and enjoy!

Rob

Tables is an option, plan more conservative profiles.and number of dives.

It depends on how many people are on the boat, but in a situation like that I would not be surprised if a fellow diver on the trip didn't let you use one of their backup computers.

You shouldn’t count on someone being willing to give up THEIR backup. I did that once on a 2 dive local charter. I would not do that on a longer trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom