Computer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seashepherd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m a newbie, and cost is not an issue in my decision making about whether (or which) dive computer would be best. My concern is value for money, and utility/functionality. Ease of use. I will probably never dive beyond a recreational level. Diving is a means to an end for me not an end in itself. I don’t need to go deep to enjoy the underwater ecology and world. So which dive computer is most appropriate? Maybe just keep renting one? Although I’d prefer to own one, that I can be familiar with. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

If cost is not an issue I would recommend the Shearwater Perdix or the Shearwater Teric, both are wrist mounted computers and both will support any type of diving you'll need to do. I've been using the Perdix for about 3 years now and can attest to its reliability and ease of use. Both computers support nitrox gasses which as a recreational diver you will use and if you ever change your mind and get into technical diving they provide mixed gas support. If you're interested find the manual and/or videos online.

Is air integration something you'd like or not necessary?

Are you looking more for a wrist mount with hoseless AI or console? Are their things that you would prefer to have, such as color or large display etc?

Wait.. you gave up on the Oceanics! :(
No, I'm still diving my VT3 (1344 dives, 1417 hours), along with a Teric, off the same PPS transmitter. This will be my best chance to learn about how DSAT and Buhlmann track. The GF99 on the Teric will be very interesting. My Nitek Q, though a nice computer, simply does not have the sophistication of the Teric. I have several other questions the Teric will help me answer. I'm a curious guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom