Computer and Backup Configuration for Rec Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was certified in the Stone Age. We used these things called tables to calculate our NDLs. Usually, we simply used the 120 rule for single dives. I would not have missed any dives that trip.

I was certified in 1970, Navy tables and J-valve. I bought a SPG in 1972, significant improvement. I was recertified in 1997. Did not have computer until 2002, huge improvement, especially because I got nitrox certified too. In my opinion, dive computers and the common use of nitrox were the biggest improvements for my diving. Nothing else has compared.

Why would you have been done diving for the week without a computer?
Just because I learned on tables doesn't mean I had any with me. Besides, by the 4th (or 5th) dive of the day on tables, I might as well just jump in a bathtub and I'd hit my NDL.

Fair enough. I've only made four dives in a day a couple of times. Even three dives per day is a rarity for me unless I'm at God's Pocket. My dives there are usually limited to an hour because of the water temperature. I make one or two dives per day at home. That's what I would have done on a liveaboard without a computer.

Back
Top Bottom