Compressor start up, shut down and running procedures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tmassey whew, that sounds fine.

if you let the coalescer go too long you'll kill the filters. If you can capture the effluent coming out, you can figure out how long you can go. I have no idea what "too much" in the coalescer is though, but I do know that the float drains on most of them is less than 10% of their total volume.

What is the best (or reasonably best) way to handle shutdown to end with a cool, dry compressor? @tbone1004 says drain it, shut it down and move on with my life... Anyone else have any thoughts?

You don't need to do anything fancy. Turn off the O2 if continuous blending. Shut down the compressor. Drain the water. You're done. There is no need to run it under any reduced load in an attempt to cool it down. If anything your PMV will keep the pressure high enough that any cooling is not happening until you actually shut it off anyway. ie pumping at 2000psi will keep everything hot.

I do think there's merit in adding fans blowing on the heads. The on-flywheel fans on most compressors are meager compared to a couple of house fans blowing on the heads to dissipate heat. The smaller your garage and the more confined your installation the more value there is to move air through there.

Back
Top Bottom