Compressor question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tpminaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a fried that lives on a sailboat. He is trying to use a porter cable oiless compressor with a long hose and regulator to allow him to do basic maintenance on his boat. Max depth would most likely be 10 feet. Yes, he is a certified diver. The compressor is 150 psi. Is this doable? Thoughts for or against this? What else should be considered?

Surely is doable. It is called an hookah.
140-150 PSI is fine as intermediate pressure for feeding a balanced second stage.
The other requisite is the air flow. You need at least 30 liters/minute (1 SCF/min). 60 is better (2 SCF/min).
The compressor should have a reasonable air reservoir, let say 20 liters.
This one, for example, satisfies these requirements:
https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-C2002-Oil-Free-Pancake-Compressor/dp/B000O5RO1Y
However, these machines, despite operating without oil, are not really designed for delivering breathable air. I would suggest adding at least an active-carbon filter...
Regarding the hose, my preference is for large diameter (0.75" min) of the floating type.
A quick connector must be provided so that the diver can detach quickly from the hose.
The final cost of assembling such a system can easily exceed the cost for a ready-to-go hookah system, so better to evaluate also this option. See this, as an example: NARDI Exreme 3 Electric Compressor 12V / 24V 50' feet Hose Hookah System Scuba Diving Third Lung Surface Air Boat Cleaning dive inspection lobstering commercial diving NEW: Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

look up the threads on here about DIY hookah setups. I would HIGHLY recommend reading that before you buy anything because not all oil-less compressors are created equal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom