Completed NACD Cavern Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

austinspace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Two very full days of Cavern Diving training in North Florida under Johnny Richards. A very experienced and very excellent instructor. Very highly recommend his class to anyone that might be interested. It was just one other student and myself in a buddy team, so the course was very hands on (course is done with 3 students at most). Most of the open water drills were done at Ginnie Springs in the open water and in the cavern itself. With a final dive Sunday at Devil's ear a few hundred yards down. That was great: head-first penetration pulling our way through the flow from this spring then down and into the cavern.

There was a LOT of information to absorb, and now there's a LOT of practicing I need to do before I would feel ready to take Intro to Cave. But good to have something to shoot for. Like most advanced dive training, this course helped to reinforce and feel more comfortable with things I had learned before - for example, I did more air-share drills this weekend than ever before, as they're performed before each dive. But to really absorb the new material: reel work, following a line in zero-visibility while air-sharing, complex problem solving drills, etc., will still require a lot of practice. So whether or not I pursue further training in cave diving, I believe this course certainly has made me a little bit better/safer open water diver.

Johnny recommended wearing a 7mm farmer john, which I thought would be overkill in the warm air temps and water temp the same 72F I'm used to at Aquarena. But I took his advice, rented a suit, and found it to be very wise advice. It gets chilly after a while! Also added a 7' long hose to my configuration for the course - which while perhaps a bit cumbersome, at first anyway, really just makes a lot of sense for open-water too.

Awesome! Always feels good to get another credential mastered :)

Congrats! I did my cavern and intro there at Ginnie & Devil's ear.. Beautiful isn't it? Great course as well.. A bit of an eye opener.. Or closer, at times.. :wink:

Congratulations! My wife and I just finished cavern with Johnny at the beginning of October. We really enjoyed it as well and would recommend him for anyone wanting a good course.

:cool3: Way to go!

congratulations! given all the cave enthusiasts on this board, i'd think there might be more interest in good enough springs. its no ginnie/vortex springs, and its deep, but there's at least a dozen hypoxic trimix cave divers on this board already. unfortunately, the closest thing we find to caverns in texas are grottos >_>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom