Complete ScubaPro MK2/R190/R380 Repair Steps/Parts List...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WolfPackDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I've been frustrated with the industry's attitude regarding regulator service for quite awhile and have been servicing my own gear for 8 year now (roughly 10-30 dives a year). I am an Ocean Engineer and make a living designing/building underwater equipment so I feel qualified to make the engineering judgments regarding my personal diving gear.

I have been contemplating posting a complete, step-by-step outline of my repair process for ScubaPro MK2/R190/R380, but am still weighing the associated risk. What do you think...will people find it useful, will people get hurt?

I'm open to all suggestions: positive, negative, neutral...

Such information is reasonably available for those willing to expend just a little effort finding it. But I don't see where another good resource can hurt.

With all things nowadays, there are potential liability issues.

However, you can minimize most of them with some generic statements about how one should never do what you're about to do without proper training, etc.

If you're doing a write-up, this board is a great place to put it, as courts have been pretty lenient about the liability of posting something in a message forum. Post it in this subforum and ask for critiques. Thus, you would not be telling everyone how to do it, but just checking to make sure the way you are doing it is in line with the way other people are doing it. :D

By the way, thanks in advance for your efforts! That's what makes this forum so beneficial!

I've been frustrated with the industry's attitude regarding regulator service for quite awhile and have been servicing my own gear for 8 year now (roughly 10-30 dives a year). I am an Ocean Engineer and make a living designing/building underwater equipment so I feel qualified to make the engineering judgments regarding my personal diving gear.

Sorry, unless you've taken the manufacturer's course you are not qualified to touch your reg. Don't forget, it's life support. It doesn't matter if your job involves mechanical ability far beyond that of any dive shop owner in the universe, it's for your own protection. :shakehead:

Yes, it's a joke.....

Dang Matt, you had me scared for a minute. I thought the body snatchers had gotten you.

In fact, according to SP policy, Peter Wolfinger cannot buy parts because he does not work at an authorized SP dealer. I wonder if they would make an exception in his case?

Wolfpackdiver, welcome to the Dark Side. I look forward to your post, also how about a few detail on the u/w equipment you have previously designed.

Couv

Be happy to. Lately, I've designed a new AUV nosecone to house stereo cameras with synthetic sapphire windows, a Teledyne DVL (doppler velocity log), digital compass, accelerometers, etc. Fabricated out of Delrin, operating depth 100m, max depth 200m. Pressure tested at WHOI for both bounce dives and long-duration dives. Another recent project was a 100m operating depth high-resolution ethernet camera housing with an external DeepSea Power & Light strobe. I can post the mechanical drawings if anyone is interested, but have to black out several of the text fields and make the usual, "this is just for education" disclaimer...

Since I can't post in HTML, this is going to take a bit longer than expected to get the formatting looking decent. I did the MK2 last night and will do the R190 tonight after I pour some new dive weights. I will also post photographs to go along with the steps...thanks for your patience!

In fact, according to SP policy, Peter Wolfinger cannot buy parts because he does not work at an authorized SP dealer. I wonder if they would make an exception in his case?

Because of his relationship with SP, Pete has to do everything by the book: he's allowed to design the SP specific tools, but he has to hire a SP certified tech, buy a SP kit thru the tech, and has the tech do the service in order to find out how his tools work.

But I don't think you believe any of the above, do you?

Because of his relationship with SP, Pete has to do everything by the book: he's allowed to design the SP specific tools, but he has to hire a SP certified tech, buy a SP kit thru the tech, and has the tech do the service in order to find out how his tools work.

But I don't think you believe any of the above, do you?

It's Scubapro, therefore I have no reason to doubt it; unless he moved to Europe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom