Complement to Raja Ampat (Feb 2021)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skearse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're going with a group that's booked for a week at Papua Explorers in February 2021. A few of us are looking at adding on a second week, and wanted to get thoughts/opinions/recs for that second week. Probably looking for something more on the bigger fishy/reef side than muck diving, but open to something that would be (1) a good complement to Raja Ampat and (2) relatively easily transit from RA/Sorong. First thought was something like Wakatobi or Bali, but also just noticed that Papua Explorers has a liveaboard (Coralia) that just started running that may be as good an option as any? Somewhere else?

The only other 'caveat' is that one of group *must* have Wi-fi to be able to do some work for the second week (need to work on her priorities :D).

And....go!

(PS apologies, I know this question HAS to have been asked before but I went through 8 pages of threads and couldn't find what I was looking for; if someone's got a link drop it here please!)

I’ve done Raja Ampat by liveaboard 2X and each time I’ve added on another/other part(s) to the trip to go with it. February is a bit more tricky as it’s still “wet” season in some other great places like Komodo or even Lembeh. Komodo sounds more your pace given the large/reef request. Ask to see if anyone is going out that time. Viz won’t be great but it may mean lots of mantas. There is Internet in Labuan Bajo and you can do day boats. You can also look at the Visayas in the Philippines - southern area. It’s too bad Tubbataha season isn’t in play yet - whale sharks and really great reef.

There may be other options in SE Asia but to be honest after RA, it’ll feel like a “downgrade”. The first time I went to RA, I chose to do muck diving after RA. It was different and I wouldn’t be disappointed. The second time, I went somewhere before RA. The third time, next year, it will probably be something after but I’m still looking....though it will be in April so I might have a few more options.

I love that! I’m the back to back liveaboard Queen! :) I would see if you can find an itinerary to Misool. However, that doesn’t solve the internet problem.

Yeah, there were a couple of downsides with the liveaboard option-the itinerary that fits *exactly* with the land-based dates is the week before (ideally, I'd prefer it after but that's not that big of a deal, I suppose), and the wi-fi on the boat is noted as "variable connection," lol. Spotty, at best, I'd think (can't find any reviews of Coralia anywhere). That would also be Wayag and Dampier Strait; the Misool itineraries either cut into the land based time or would require hanging out for a few extra days-also not ideal. Looking at other liveaboards (in RA and others) I don't see a *perfect* match.

Internet is almost totally a non-starter on an lob in Raja.

According to your requirements, Wakatobi would definitely fit.
Access from RA to Makassar with a direct with batik air, and if eveything goes as planned, the direct link from Makassar to Wakatobi will be opened by 2021.
There are some decent resort with proper wifi on Wangi-Wangi ( Main island ) and diving is top notch ( not as much big fish as in RA though) and prices average.
I am opening a DC in the next few weeks there, please feel free to contact me if you want more infos.

Back
Top Bottom