compass - what's the warranty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I bought an Oceanic gauge console with a compass in March last year. I have 25 dives on it and the compass has developed a leak.

My LDS - Oakville Divers in Oakville, Ontario tells me that Oceanic has refused to replace the compass under warranty.

Is this consistent with the Oceanic Warranty?

Andrew

2-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY(regulators, buoyancy compensators and instruments)

Oceanic guarantees, to the original purchaser only, that the equipment purchased is free of defects in material and/or workmanship under normal recreational scuba use for a period of two years (2) from the date of comsumer purchase from an Authorized Oceanic Dealer, provided proper care and maintenance have been performed as prescribed by the owner's guide or instruction card included with the equipment. Should this product prove to be defective for any reason (other than those listed as limitations below) the product will be serviced or replaced at Oceanic's sole discretion at no charge (excluding shipping and handling).

This warranty shall be void if the registration card is not completed and signed by both the Authorized Oceanic Dealer and the product Owner, and registered with Oceanic within 30 days of purchase.

This warranty shall be void if the equipment has been tampered with by a person (or persons) not authorized by Oceanic to perform service, or if the equipment is used for rental, military or commercial purposes.

The warranty is non-transferable,and extends to the original purchaser only. It is void if the equipment was purchased from anyone other than an Authorized Oceanic Dealer.

Maybe its different in Canada?

Your LDS got a problem? They should see the coverage that Scuba Sciences Inc in AZ had.

Andrew, I had the same problem several years back except that my compass was about 10 years old at the time. At the time I purchased the compass Oceanic had a LIFETIME warranty. Anyway, I contacted Oceanic directly faxed them my original paperwork and sent them the compass with a copy of paperwork, in about a week they sent me a new compass. I did not have the option of going through a local dive shop because there was not an Oceanic dealer local to me.

I wonder if the dive shop is just being lazy or if they are not on good terms with Oceanic at the moment. IMHO, the dive shop should have replaced the compass immediately (if you purchased it there) and then deal with Oceanic on the replacement. After all if they are not going to provide service then what is the advantage of buying from them rather than Leisure Pro or Ebay? I would ask them that question also.

I haven't dealt with an Oceanic compass failure but have dealt with an Aeris depth gauge failure (Aeris and Oceanic are pretty much the same company). About 9 months after purchase it started to read shallow by about 6-8 ft at around 35', I don't have any more info as I stopped relying on it at this time and took it to my LDS. It was handled quickly and painlessly. I received a new depth gauge and it exactly matched my computer. Something sounds fishy with your LDS.

Oceanic's Canadian representative has responded very quickly and I am confident that Oceanic is taking this matter seriously.

Oceanic has always bent over backwards to do right by me, they run a class operation.

Back
Top Bottom