Compass Point vs Lighthouse Point...both excellent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi:

Does anyone have experience with both? I realize Compass is East end and Lighthouse is West. Just wondering about the services offered, state of the rooms, DiveTech vs Ocean Frontiers? I also realize shore diving is easier on the west side.

Thank you

Hi Catito,

I will try my best to answer your question with a little bias as I can. We pride ourselves on top notch service and the best experience. So does Ocean Frontiers. Both are excellent choices but very different in a vacation experience.

Ocean Frontiers is located on the east end of the island which is a very different feel. You actually feel like you are on a Caribbean Island. There are fewer attractions and and restaurants. Most of our staff will take 'staycations' or day diving trips to the east end and dive with our Ocean Frontiers friends. Their boats are large, their crew is great, and the experience is worthwhile. OF is on the Compass Point resort, and as such is a more traditional resort atmosphere. Mostly guests do not get rental cars, and use the resort amenities. If you chose to go off-site, there's really only 3-4 restaurants to chose from. At the time of this writing many are closed due to the COVID border closure, although some will reopen. OF and Compass Point are more of a relax, dive, drink sort of atmosphere, and there are many that prefer this sort of relaxing vacation. There is a beach on the east side, but it's within the barrier reef, so it's not nearly as nice.

Divetech on the other hand is located on the West side, just north of the hustle and bustle of Seven Mile Beach. The accommodations facilities we offer, are the condos we have on premises All are privately owned and some are in short-term rental. Guests here tend to rent a car, and will dine out at one of the hundreds of restaurants that dot Seven Mile and Georgetown. Our boats are also large (a tiny bit smaller than the OF newtons) and our crews are just as awesome. Divetech is more of a "let's see the culinary capitol of the Caribbean" sort of atmosphere. There are many who prefer the diverse scene and amenities offered on the West side. West Bay has Seven Mile Beach, which is your traditional white-sand, turquoise water Caribbean beach.

What sort of trip you'd like obviously depends on you. Some of our customers will do both on the same trip. It's not uncommon for someone to stay with us for half the vacation and then stay with OF for the second half.

** Biased alert ** Divetech offers shore diving, scooter rentals, and technical/rebreather try-dives and support which OF does not have. OF has sharks, and plenty of them, which we generally don't get. Although some will say the diving on the east vs the west is vastly different, I find for the most part it's largely the same topography underwater.

Tony

Hi Catito,

I will try my best to answer your question with a little bias as I can. We pride ourselves on top notch service and the best experience. So does Ocean Frontiers. Both are excellent choices but very different in a vacation experience.

Ocean Frontiers is located on the east end of the island which is a very different feel. You actually feel like you are on a Caribbean Island. There are fewer attractions and and restaurants. Most of our staff will take 'staycations' or day diving trips to the east end and dive with our Ocean Frontiers friends. Their boats are large, their crew is great, and the experience is worthwhile. OF is on the Compass Point resort, and as such is a more traditional resort atmosphere. Mostly guests do not get rental cars, and use the resort amenities. If you chose to go off-site, there's really only 3-4 restaurants to chose from. At the time of this writing many are closed due to the COVID border closure, although some will reopen. OF and Compass Point are more of a relax, dive, drink sort of atmosphere, and there are many that prefer this sort of relaxing vacation. There is a beach on the east side, but it's within the barrier reef, so it's not nearly as nice.

Divetech on the other hand is located on the West side, just north of the hustle and bustle of Seven Mile Beach. The accommodations facilities we offer, are the condos we have on premises All are privately owned and some are in short-term rental. Guests here tend to rent a car, and will dine out at one of the hundreds of restaurants that dot Seven Mile and Georgetown. Our boats are also large (a tiny bit smaller than the OF newtons) and our crews are just as awesome. Divetech is more of a "let's see the culinary capitol of the Caribbean" sort of atmosphere. There are many who prefer the diverse scene and amenities offered on the West side. West Bay has Seven Mile Beach, which is your traditional white-sand, turquoise water Caribbean beach.

What sort of trip you'd like obviously depends on you. Some of our customers will do both on the same trip. It's not uncommon for someone to stay with us for half the vacation and then stay with OF for the second half.

** Biased alert ** Divetech offers shore diving, scooter rentals, and technical/rebreather try-dives and support which OF does not have. OF has sharks, and plenty of them, which we generally don't get. Although some will say the diving on the east vs the west is vastly different, I find for the most part it's largely the same topography underwater.

Tony

Thank you very much. I have been to Grand Cayman several times...both sides (East and West) but visited before I was into diving (snorkeling). Your info is very helpful. Seems like a win-win. Hopefully by the fall COVID will be under control.

Much appreciated. Stay safe.

Thank you very much. I have been to Grand Cayman several times...both sides (East and West) but visited before I was into diving (snorkeling). Your info is very helpful. Seems like a win-win. Hopefully by the fall COVID will be under control.

Much appreciated. Stay safe.

No worries, I didn't realize you'd been here before and I actually neglected to answer your question on the rooms.

When I first arrived here in 2016, Divetech held our weeklong Innerspace event at Compass Point/OF and I stayed in one of the condo's across the street. I thought it was great. Clean, modern, in outstanding shape. This was the only room I saw, but I didn't hear anything negative from our guests on the other rooms. I also know during the lockdown, Steve Broadbelt has kept his crew busy with lots of maintenance and refurbishment. While I've dived with OF many times since, I've not stayed there again, so maybe someone else can answer that.

Divetech has always had the condos at Lighthouse Point, which are very nice. The only issue is all of these condos are privately owned, and with the loss of short term income, many of the owners have placed them into long-term rental for residents currently, so availability is down. That said, the new Lighthouse Point Residences next door have been completed, and some of the owners there want to list them in short-term rental. Those are wonderful, spacious, bright units with direct waterfront views. Here's some shots of a 1 BR unit.

LHPR-1.jpg
LHPR-2.jpg

LHPR-3.jpg

I haven't stayed with either as we rent a condo in the West Bay area when we visit, but we dive with both DiveTech and OceanFrontiers every trip. We really enjoy shore diving so staying in the West Bay is a better fit for us. Quality of staff on the boats for me has been pretty comparable. I like the DiveTech boats a little more because I feel less crowded. Even though the OF boats are bigger, there are usually more people on them which means more people under the water with you, as well. The difference in the diving depends on the sites you do. Aside from seeing reef sharks the sea life can be pretty similar, especially if you're able to stay more around the NW point area (or north wall) with DiveTech. I don't think you can wrong with either option.

Thanks for sharing the new condo pictures, Tony. I haven't seen the inside yet. They're beautiful.

I have multiple stays at Compass Point and a one week visit to Lighthouse Point. They are both excellent!

Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers is directly on the ocean. Great Staff and Dive Masters. The resort is all one and two bedroom well equipped and modern condos. Most of the units are on the ocean. They also have a separate condo building across the road (very close) which is situated adjacent to their second pool. Ocean Frontiers Dive Shop and boats are all located on the premise. They specialize in Rollo-B diving. Roll out of bed and onto the dive boat! They pick up your gear when you arrive and it magically appears on the dive boat every morning already set up! Beautiful Newton Dive Boats.

Compass Point offers several stay and dive packages of varying length. The packages include the condo, a rental car for the duration of your stay, 2 boat dives per day and breakfast daily at the onsite restaurant (Eagle Rays). The condos make it possible to cook as much or as little as you prefer.

The restaurant (Eagle Ray's) is operated by an East End character known as Chef Ron. He is from Australia or New Zealand and has three restaurants on the East End. Tukka (Australian themed), Taco Cantina and Eagle Rays. Tukka and Taco Cantina are great! There are several other good choices including the Italian Kitchen and Over The Edge. Hopefully these are surviving the tourist shutdown.

There is no beach at Compass Point. The water front is iron shore. There is also no shore diving from Compass Point. The East End is quiet.

Lighthouse Point/Divetech is directly on the ocean with both a dock and sea pool for dive entry. Joanna and company do a great job. The house reef offers two distinct dives. The first wall from memory ranges from 35 - 65 feet and includes the Guardian of the Reef Statue. We enjoyed the shore dives to the first wall so much that we never ventured to the main wall (next time). Divetech provided lockers and a spacious staging area for shore diving.

Divetech's boats are large and well equipped. During our stay we were shuttled a short distance toward Seven Mile Beach to board the boats. I believe Divetech manages the Kittywake for the Cayman Island Tourist Assoc. and they are an excellent choice for that dive.

We were very fortunate to secure the top floor condo at Lighthouse Point for our stay. Great vista, spacious and well equipped unit. Reading Tony's post, the addition of the condos next door will provide another great option for using Divetech.

Lighthouse Point's location puts you close to the heart of Georgetown with all of the restaurants/attractions that come with that.

You can't go wrong with either choice!

The restaurant (Eagle Ray's) is operated by an East End character known as Chef Ron. He is from Australia or New Zealand and has three restaurants on the East End. Tukka (Australian themed), Taco Cantina and Eagle Rays. Tukka and Taco Cantina are great! There are several other good choices including the Italian Kitchen and Over The Edge. Hopefully these are surviving the tourist shutdown.

Ron and I serve together on the CITA Board of Directors. Sadly Chef Ron had to sell Eagle Rays, and one of his other east side restaurants due to the lack of business from the COVID border closure. I just spoke to him last week about this, and the Eagle Rays does have a new owner and will be back up and running at some point.

In good news for those of us on the West Side, Ron will be opening a Tukka West, at the former location of Catch restaurant in Morgans Harbor. Sad to see Catch go, they are another victim of the border closure, but Tukka will be a nice addition.

Tony

It would be awesome if Tukka could be in Morgan's Harbour! I love the place and the food. While you obviously won't get the same view there, if the food is available that would be wonderful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom