Compass - $20(aliexpress) vs $40 vs $80 (made in italy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m pretty sure that people who pay $20 for a compass aren’t expecting the same level of performance as for an $80 compass. Clearly there is a market for both products, just like electric guitars.

A little off topic:
Found another Suunto , thought I only had one [don't know the model, SK-7 ?] I use for navigation with a console.
Can anyone identify the other compass, had it a long time, can't kill it, been lost, found, dropped etc Swiss made ?
20210821_065420.jpg
20210821_065501.jpg

I’m pretty sure that people who pay $20 for a compass aren’t expecting the same level of performance as for an $80 compass. Clearly there is a market for both products, just like electric guitars.
Fake Rolex?

One is a product the other is a rip-off

I have only used this type ever since I bought the 1st one new many years ago. I have 3 of them I've bought on Ebay over the years. When the one I currently use gets worn I replace it with another. A fine U/W navigation instrument.
LS-1.jpg
LS-1A.jpg

Scubapro Compass Console Slate Ls-1 (tanscubsnork.com)

After years of using a Taiwan cheapo wrist mount compass and having no complaints, a decent mid range compass fell into my hands. A definite improvement, quicker to stabilize and less prone to sticking when held at a bit of an angle. I would want a compass known to have tilt potential +/- 30 degrees.
Taiwan is vastly superior in workmanship and ethics to China. In fact many products from Taiwan are superior to US made products. Taiwan is closer to Japan in terms of Quality.

LS-1 was made in West Germany. High quality but leaks fluid eventually...
I've had 4 in 53 years, takes a long time to leak.

I am annoyed with decent compass loosing fluid.... why can't they the make it so it can be topped up, I have redrilled the hole and topped it off and reglued them
Even suunto ones seem bad for that,

A small expansion bubble is normal and on purpose. The greater the swing, 10 degrees vs 30 degrees, the taller the case generally. For many the 10 degree swing is enough to get the lower profile.

I really try to avoid counterfiet and stolen IP from China. There is nothing wrong with Taiwan or any other democracy when they have the product you want.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom