Comparing wet mount macro lenses.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Inon is an AD mount, which requires an AD mount adapter for your housing (they also have a 67mm mount lens) and turns and snaps in place in about a half turn. It is a weaker magnification, so will focus more easily, but can be doubled to provide a more powerful lens. The Epoque is 67mm with a stronger magnification, but very shallow depth of field, which many find difficult to focus. If your housing supports an AD mount (see Inon's AD mount list in the Reef Photo site) it's much easier to mount underwater. If not, a 67mm lens can be mounted to any housing with a threaded port if it is either 67mm or has a thread size compatible with a step adapter from the native thread to 67mm. Mounting a threaded lens underwater, while maintaining buoyancy, wearing gloves and keeping an eye on both your subject and your dive buddy is a pain. Also, if you tighten it a bit much, you can unscrew your port along with the lens and flood your camera. The AD set-up is very nice and they have a matching lens caddy that allows you to carry your lenses on your strobe arm for quick access and secure storage.

I was never happy with the image quality I got from the Epoque - the Inons do a much better job IMHO. I would rather use two Inons over one Epoque.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom