Compared: Nikon P7000, Canon S95, Panasonic LX5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slowhands

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found a good comparative review of 3+1 cameras that are good candidates for underwater photography, the Nikon P7000, Canon S95, the Panasonic LX5 (and Canon G12 in the Photo Comparison only):
Enthusiast Compact Camera Group Test (Q4 2010) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

I don't have the time or money to get each one of these and test them out, but I was very curious about them all. I have the following requirements for underwater cameras:

Ability to shoot P, A, S, M exposure
Ability to set custom white balance
Ability to shoot RAW format images
Wide angle lens
Close focus capability
Some video capability
Available housing​

Bottom Line: These cameras met these requirements and were all great performers, with some strengths and weaknesses. Here are some highlights:

Still images: For Jpeg images, all were excellent.

Video: Canon won't zoom or focus during video, Nikon and Panasonic will. Panasonic was by far the best for video, shoots in AVCHD.

Operating Speed: None were as fast as a DSLR, but the Canon was fastest, and the Nikon seemed much slower. Nikon took 5 seconds to store a RAW image.

Lens: The Panasonic wins, having a 24mm wide F2.0 lens with very close focus (Canon and Nikon are 28mm). In macro mode, the Canon focuses to 5cm, the Nikon to 2cm, and the Panasonic to 1cm in front of the lens. The 10bar housing for it has a 67mm threaded port, perfect for adding wide angle wet lenses or macro.

I definitely recommend reading the comparative review. I was surprised that the Canon would not zoom or autofocus during video and that the Nikon was so slow on RAW, for example. There were a lot more interesting findings. This is worth a look to avoid buyer's remorse. I would also suggest handling any camera before you buy, you just might find you like or dislike the feel of something in your hand or in a housing.

NOTE: Regarding housings, Canon now has several suppliers, including CANON, RECSEA and FIX. Nikon will soon have two, Ikelite and Fantasea. Panasonic has 10Bar now.

"I was surprised that the Canon would not zoom"...The S95 zooms while videoing....

Last edited:
"I was surprised that the Canon would not zoom"...The S95 zooms while videoing....

Digital zoom only, not optical, according to the article.

Trust me. It would be well worth it. I already bought (and returned) a 10 Bar housing.

I have not used the 10Bar, but what I have heard is it's just OK. Given the price difference from the RecSea, I would imagine it might not be as deluxe. Here are some things I have heard.

If you raise the flash, then you need a tool to flip it down (thin screwdriver) to remove the cam from the housing. I tend to go out on a boat and do 2-3 dives and need to change batteries or memory, so this is awkward if I happen to forget the tool.

The rear door on the 10Bar is fixed with two twist latches, instead of a hinged door with rotating latch like the RecSea. That's less convenient -- what do you do with the door while the housing is open? An inconvenience, not a show stopper though.

There is some fiddling needed to use a Heinrichs Weikamp TTL Converter with the housing, it does not fit and either the Converter or housing needs to be modified. That means you probably should use optical cord instead, unless you are really clever with this sort of mod.

I did not mean to recommend or criticize any product when I posted the comparison article link. Just sharing information. I think we all need as much information as we can get before spending our hard-earned cash on these toys, err... tools.

Lens: The Panasonic wins, having a 24mm wide F2.0 lens with very close focus (Canon and Nikon are 28mm). In macro mode, the Canon focuses to 5cm, the Nikon to 2cm, and the Panasonic to 1cm in front of the lens. The 10bar housing for it has a 67mm threaded port, perfect for adding wide angle wet lenses or macro.

Actually in my opinion the Panasonic looses because a 24mm lens behind a flat port is not an advantage underwater as distortion would be considerable and the resulting image not very wide at all. The 24mm focal length probably precludes use of common accessory lenses as they are designed for 28mm to 35mm native lenses.

Above the surface, yes, below the surface, no. :no:

N

Actually in my opinion the Panasonic loses because a 24mm lens behind a flat port is not an advantage underwater as distortion would be considerable and the resulting image not very wide at all. The 24mm focal length probably precludes use of common accessory lenses as they are designed for 28mm to 35mm native lenses.

Above the surface, yes, below the surface, no. :no:

N

Well, yes and no. The S95 has a 28mm lens while the LX5 has a 24mm lens. Certainly behind a flat port, the LX5 allows wider field of view. So at least with a housing alone with flat port, the LX5 has a wider, closer focusing lens.

I know that some people like even wider perspective, and of course for that you need an add on lens. The 10Bar housing has two options: a 67mm screw on wet lens (probably the typical 100 degree FOV) and a super wide add on dome lens and conversion lens, dry mount only (which has a wider FOV, don't know how much wider). I suspect the screw-on lens would vignette somewhat, so probably would require zooming in and you would lose the advantage of having the wider field of view as Nemrod said.

The dry mount wide angle lens is probably a more sensible way to add a super wide converter lens to the setup, because any wet lens will have the extra thickness and restrictions of the housing port glass. You have to get rid of that, and place the wide converter immediately in front of the camera lens, hence dry mount. 10Bar LX3/LX5 W/A Converter Lens & Dome Port - 10Bar Housing Ports - 10Bar Underwater Housings - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

That's not as convenient if you want to change lenses of course, basically you have to surface and do that. But the solution exists, on paper. I've not seen a review. I'm not advocating this setup -- that's up to you to decide, and probably test hands-on before buying.

All of the super wide dome converter lenses are quite expensive, $800-1200, which may be more than the camera and housing cost. If you really have your heart set on using a compact camera and wide angle converter, it's expensive.

But consider this: you're starting to spend some serious money on a setup, and to me it might make more sense to consider a Nikon or Canon DSLR with the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye instead. You'll have a better camera, and better optics.

Back
Top Bottom