Compare and contrast the Raider Line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
Compare and contrast the Raider Line? Raiders I, II, III, and IV?

And does the same sock work across the line?

Different batteries, different wattages. Raiders I-III are 3W, I believe. Raider IV is 5W. Raiders I & II have a bigger diameter than III & IV so the socks are different.

The website is hard to decipher as the Raider 2 is not listed and the Raider IV is not pictured.
The III and IV are the same light with different power sources. One is rechargeable and the other is not. The rechargeable version costs more.

The Raider 1 is a 3W that runs on AA batteries. It is a nice light. My only complaint is that it spins freely in the light sock making turning it on and off a pain during the dive.

I also believe the III and IV will fit in the I/II light sock but that there is a light sock made for them.

Have you used the Raider 1 on a dive yet? It looks really good, and seems to have the CREE LED in it. I have a couple of Fenix lights that use the CREE, and they are just amazing. As bright as my UK eLED light off only two AA batteries. But sadly, Fenix is not divable.

Have you used the Raider 1 on a dive yet? It looks really good, and seems to have the CREE LED in it. I have a couple of Fenix lights that use the CREE, and they are just amazing. As bright as my UK eLED light off only two AA batteries. But sadly, Fenix is not divable.

No, this weekend is supposed to be my first try.

Quick question ... is there any reason not to use rechargeable CR123 batteries in a Raider IV?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Compare and contrast the Raider Line? Raiders I, II, III, and IV?

And does the same sock work across the line?

How's this for a comparison chart?

Oxycheq or anyone else that has better info, updated, corrections, etc, please feel free to reply/copy the table and update it.

[table 0 0 3]
Light| Output | Power | Battery | Run Time | Bulb | Length | Width | Weight* | MSRP
Raider I | 80 Lumens | 3watt | 3 AA | 4.5 hr | Cree LED | 5.8" | 1.3" | 10oz | $70
Raider II | unknown | 5watt | 2 D | 4+ hrs | unknown | 8" | unknown | unknown| $100
Raider III | 250+ Lumens | 5watt | 3.7v Li-Ion *| 4hrs * | unknown | 6" | 1"-1.6" | 8oz | $220
Raider IV | 250+ Lumens | 5watt | Two CR123 | 3 hrs * | unknown | 6" | 1"-1.6" | 8oz | $170
Raider V | stay tuned! | | | | | | | |
[/table]

* Weight with batteries
* 3.7 Volt Li-Ion is rechargeable, comes with recharger.
* The Raider III Li-Ion batteries can be replaced with CR-123's also.
* Run time on "high power"
* Radier II specs to be verified.

Last edited:
Quick question ... is there any reason not to use rechargeable CR123 batteries in a Raider IV?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The general word about the rechargeable CR123 is that, because rechargeable always run a lower voltage, using multiple re-chargeable CR123s in a device is not a good idea unless it is built for rechargeable only use.

Don' know if it applies in this case or not. though.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The only reason I could think "no" is that if you're going to use it as a backup light.

Rechargeables have a higher failure rate and lower "shelf life" (charge life) than their Alkaline counterparts. You wouldn't want to add possibility of higher failure to your backup light, because in theory it's there for when your primary fails. (meaning you don't want to have your primary fail and then have dead/weak rechargeables and end up with two dead lights dark in the water).

If you're going to use it as a primary, rechargables seem like a possible way to go. But I'd email Oxycheck and ask to see what they think.... might save you some learn-by-fire testing.

but for what a charger costs, and the CR123 rechargable batteries cost, and the cost of the Raider IV, you can buy the Raider III with all that included and not have the hassles.

In the event that your rechargeable Li-Ion batteries in your Raider III are found dead, you can always pop in replacement CR123's in that light (removing the re-chargable batt) according to a post by Oxycheck on Decostop. so it appears to be the "best of both worlds" solution.

The general word about the rechargeable CR123 is that, because rechargeable always run a lower voltage, using multiple re-chargeable CR123s in a device is not a good idea unless it is built for rechargeable only use.

Don' know if it applies in this case or not. though.

I wonder how it will affect the advanced LED bulbs. In incandescent bulbs, it won't hurt them but might only give a small percentage dimmer bulb.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom