Companies that pay for training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are there reputable companies that would take someone off the street with recreational diving certifications and train them to the level required?

A career I would want is to work at depth fixing things.

I heard NOAA offers sponsorships for those that want to go into scientific diving. But if you want to get into doing work underwater you should explore commercial diving. I know there are some commercial diving schools that offer financial aid. But as far as companies paying for instruction, I don't know.

Are there reputable companies that would take someone off the street with recreational diving certifications and train them to the level required?
A career I would want is to work at depth fixing things.

The chances are higher if a relative owns the company, otherwise I wouldn't hold your breath. I suggest that you get some background working construction (ideally as a welder or rigger) then take a Commercial Diving course (at Seneca College, King City, Ontario). You are then in a better position to get a Diving job.

In the scenario mentioned, you will likely end-up paying for your training anyway (reflected in a lower amount of income received). Why not consider making money in construction (to increase your chances of being employable as a Diver) and then consider a Student Loan as required to cover your commercial diver training?

Military..they will train you and pay you..

As he's from Canada, a brief comment... Although this always wasn't the case (when I was a Navy Diver in the 70's), today all Clearance Divers are recruited from active Navy personnel. In other words, you would have to enter the Navy in another trade and once you were qualified and in active service you could 'apply.' Normally, applicants are selected from the list of Ship's Divers (a secondary qualification of selected crew). Realistically, this could be a 3 or 4 year wait (if at all).

As he's from Canada, a brief comment... Although this always wasn't the case (when I was a Navy Diver in the 70's), today all Clearance Divers are recruited from active Navy personnel. In other words, you would have to enter the Navy in another trade and once you were qualified and in active service you could 'apply.' Normally, applicants are selected from the list of Ship's Divers (a secondary qualification of selected crew). Realistically, this could be a 3 or 4 year wait (if at all).

I will shortly be exNavy. I would not be able to pass their course. It is not a diving course, it is a running course.

I will shortly be exNavy. I would not be able to pass their course. It is not a diving course, it is a running course.

Before they moved all Diver training to Esquimalt, there was less running and more swimming (although still an ample amount of running). The Standards are a bit easier now than what they once were, but the course is a tough one. It use to have a 90+% failure rate, but this has dropped since they started the two week preliminary course. Even those that pass will find the one year Clearance Diver Course a real bitch!

I really like the Victoria area (but expensive). If the CF drops the PLD, there will be a few people hurting...

Before they moved all Diver training to Esquimalt, there was less running and more swimming (although still an ample amount of running). The Standards are a bit easier now than what they once were, but the course is a tough one. It use to have a 90+% failure rate, but this has dropped since they started the two week preliminary course. Even those that pass will find the one year Clearance Diver Course a real bitch!

I am not a runner. I never have been, I never will be one.

How long have you been in the Navy? Are you entitled to a resettlement package? I'm an ex British Army diver and got a massive grant before I left to go and train up as a PADI OWSI in Thailand. I'm looking at a HSE surface supplied course at the mo in Scotland and I'm surprised at how reasonable the price is, if you soon to be ex Navy you may be entitled to funds that will more than cover training and even if your not I'm sure you wont be leaving with empty pockets.

How long have you been in the Navy? Are you entitled to a resettlement package? I'm an ex British Army diver and got a massive grant before I left to go and train up as a PADI OWSI in Thailand. I'm looking at a HSE surface supplied course at the mo in Scotland and I'm surprised at how reasonable the price is, if you soon to be ex Navy you may be entitled to funds that will more than cover training and even if your not I'm sure you wont be leaving with empty pockets.

Due to it being simply finishing the contract, they do not give anything except a move back to where I cam from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom