Compact w/Case suggestion? Sony vs Canon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I just got back from a nice trip to the Caymens, where my trusted DC1400 died. I enjoyed the camera, but would like something with more upward capability, as I do like to tinker in photography, though I am no expert.

I loved the size of the DC1400 and the fact that it did have some optical zoom. I'm looking for something similar, and a bit nicer. I checked out the DC2000, but it's lack of zoom and slew of so-so reviews has made me look elsewhere.

It looks like the Canon G7X Mark ii in a housing is great, as well as the Sony RX100. But I'm a bit concerned by the size, as it looks like some of the housings make them huge (I like to clip it on my BC for surfacing/descents).

I'd like to keep it around $1500, but am flexible. Any thoughts, recommendations, etc, would be MUCH appreciated!!!

Is this budget inclusive of strobes and a tray/handle or is this just camera and housing? Don't forget a budget for wet lenses as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but I do know that the Canon has a wider range for manual white balance. I have the RX100 M4 and can show you example shots. I have friends with the G7X that are very happy with it as well. Is purchasing a used camera an option for you because you can definitely save there. Fantasea makes good housings for the price. Nauticam makes excellent housings but are $$$ and will blow most of your budget. One thing to consider is the menus of the different brands. Check it out in store to see which menus you like better. As for housing, do look at what lenses you will need (wide angle and macro) that will fit those housings as that might sway your decision as well.

Good question! This is just for camera/housing, which I'll probably get comfortable with before adding on a wet lens, strobe, etc.

Thanks for the points. White balance adjustment is important to me - the DC1400 didn't have the kind of range needed. I'll take a look at the menu's - I have a Fujifilm mirrorless as my primary camera, and used to have a Canon, which I loved, but have never used a Sony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom