Compact Flash or XD memory Card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dominiek

Reaction score
For our new Olympus C5050 digital camera we want to buy an extra memory card of about 256 MB. We already have a Compact Flash memory card of 128 MB.

Should we buy a XD memory picture card or a Compact Flash card?

Are there any differences?

Hope some of you have experience with these cards (especially the XD card because that one is new to us).

My own personal feeling is "whichever is cheaper". Most people are limited to which one they buy based upon hardware - if you can do either go for whichever gives you more storage for your pound / dollar / yen / stone ring. I don't believe either one is dramatically faster / less prone to failure etc. The XD card will be marginally smaller.

Dave

Where to begin ???

I Have the xD, CF and smart media (sm) cards.....

To the average person I dont think you cant tell the differences between the cards.....xD and CF

BUT

I would definitely get (at a minimum ) a card to go in each slot (an xD or sm for one and a CF for the other {you can get a micro drive also}) That is one of the benefits of this camera ....so please dont get "hung up" on using only one type of media.

The other thing is I have seen a few of your posts regarding RAW formats. That is going to use up a lot of space on your cards ..... so if you need or want to shot raw your going to need bigger media cards like a 256 xD card in one slot and at least a 512 CF in the other... This will give you the space to sufficiently store those large files. This is like the 32 mb card that comes with the camera ...its a joke as you can only store around 8-10 images in SHQ yet in the 2-3 mp cameras 32 mb would be a fair amount of memory...

As far as the cards go (I'll need to find this spreadsheet for you ) I saw a comparison done of all the cards in that camera. The write speeds for these cards stood out and I was surprised to see that the xD card (promoted as a very fast writing card ) was slower than some CF cards. Again shooting in RAW takes longer to record/write the image than say in SHQ.

If it were me and I was only buying one card (in this case since you have a CF card ) I would get the largest xD I could. Ideally you write to one card and store to the other therefore avoiding having to replace the media after a dive (battery life will control how frequently in a dive day you need to open the housing).

Well thats it for now....let me try to find that chart

Finesse is right on the money with the comments.
One other thing to consider is that you can only use the panorama feature of the Oly cameras with Fuji/Olympus xD cards (unless you know how to hack a CF or SM card, which most people don't).
TedJ

Currently the largest xD card available is 512MB but it's still fairly expensive (about $216). For just a little bit more ($234) you can get a 1GB CF card and it's heaps faster. I have a Transcend 512MB 30x CF in one slot and a Olympus 128 xD in the other and the Transcend kicks ass. They've also released the 1GB 45x. The only reason I bought the xD was because I was (falsely) under the impression that it was the fastest media around. I guess I can do my panos on it and it's a backup should my CF fail UW.

Here's another link for CF comparisons (it's a little outdated): http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare

On a 512MB card you'll get about 140 SHQ or 68 RAW images.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom