compact digicam features/value compromise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

u4ia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning to purchase my first digicam to use while diving and I am trying to get a handle on the best model for what features I want at a not-too-extravagant price point. (eg cam+housing in 500ish range) I just may be asking for to much but wanted to see if people had any ideas beyond what I have found.
I am looking at a compact camera that I can tote around and have some fun with, nothing too serious. On the other hand I like to play around with photos and graphics, so I want it to have some image capabilities.
Here is my envisioned combo:
at least 6 mp, can save images in RAW or TIFF uncompressed format, manual settings ability, good low light capabilties to allow for on-camera flash limitations, wide angle--if possible 28 but could settle for 35 which seems to be what most of these have, and not too much $$. storage media - I am flexible, I have an old canon elph and have been very happy with the CF storage and battery life, but not totally wedded to canon.

so I have been perusing all the usual digicam sites and comparing features. it seems most of the cameras in modest price range dont offer RAW/TIFF, or some other major feature I want is missing. The cameras that might be good candidates are often discontinued (eg the Canon G6 or S60 -- I can only find these refurbished). I really like the S70 and it seems to offer most of what I want, but at $700+ I might as well spring for a DSLR! the fujifilm F30 has had positive reviews and seems it might be excellent in the ISO400-800 range if needed, but no uncompressed format and uses xD cards (slow?)! I have also looked at the oly sp350 but worry that this seems to have had problems with shutter lag which I find very annoying.

any ideas? am I asking too much? :)

Yes. Unfortunately, right now most of the mfg.'s are taking away the features we want instead of adding them. Find the one that's closest to what you want and live with the negatives. That might mean going with a Canon for great images and living with poor lens adaptability, no raw and a slight shutter lag. It might be finding a leftover SP-350 for the RAW, etc. and living with the slow shutter and write times. Some people like the Fuji's as a good compromise as well. Whatever you get, you'll learn to make the best use of the positives and live with the flaws. Or, you can go on e-bay and find an older model that has more of what you want. They're usually not as fast as the newer ones though, and lack some features.

thanks for the comments Larry. I guess I would really most like the RAW/TIFF feature and would weight that highly.
So I suppose another way to phrase it is: what compact and less expensive cameras have this feature?
What do people think about getting a refurb? anyone go this route? it makes me a bit nervous but I guess electronics are fairly robust and if there was a major problem it would likely show up early.

If you want RAW capability and manual adjustment at a reasonable price, go find a SP-350 quickly while they're still out there. You can get them for $179 right now-I bought mine for $359 when they still retailed for $399. You can get into a PT-030 housing for close to the same money. It has a hotshoe for a strobe as well.

Bang for buck, the SP-350 probably wins if you are buying new stuff and you want it fast. However, you can find the old s70 for a lot less than $700--if you can settle for used. My wife found one for me for Xmas for $250. It's a refurb, but it works fine. I even saw one on Craigslist for $125, but I wasn't quick enough to get it.

I decided to go for the old s70 because it shoots raw (which I find critical) and it's 28mm wide.

yeah I am kinda leaning towards the S70 and taking a risk with a refurb. Matt do you use the Canon underwater housing? Do you have an external strobe and is there any interference wwith the wide angle from this housing?

I use the Olympus C-7070 WideZoom and it does a pretty good job, even without any add-ons (just camera and housing). It can do RAW format, too.

Back
Top Bottom