Compact Camera with a buffer or a new ÅÎagic memory card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siki

Reaction score
Does any use a compact digital camera that has a buffer? This would allow the storage of a file while the camera is taking other pictures.

I use a Fuji E900 and it takes about 10 seconds to write a raw file to the card. A buffer would allow it to hold the shot and take another (hopefully, many others) and then write them to the memory card.

Or, is there some kind of new ÅÎagic card that would allow my camera to write to it faster?

Thanks in advance.

Aloha

Siki

Canon G10. It shoots RAW, with a three shot buffer and a .7 second per shot write time. Great reason to buy one for UW shooting. My current UW camera (Oly SP350) has no such buffer and depending on the card takes 6-11 seconds to write a RAW shot, all the while preventing even previewing your next shot.

Thanks for your prompt response Larry. Much appreciated.

I will watch the development of the housings and potential for wide angle wet lenses for the Canon G10. It sounds very promising.

Which cards are able to write to your Oly in 6 seconds and which cards take 11 seconds? Every little bit helps.

Additionally, is it true that all DSLRs (from the lowly D100) have been built with a buffer?

Aloha

Siki

Thanks for your prompt response Larry. Much appreciated.

I will watch the development of the housings and potential for wide angle wet lenses for the Canon G10. It sounds very promising.

Which cards are able to write to your Oly in 6 seconds and which cards take 11 seconds? Every little bit helps.

Additionally, is it true that all DSLRs (from the lowly D100) have been built with a buffer?

Aloha

Siki

I don't know about "all" since DSLRs go back quite far (see Kodak backs on film bodies), but...

My original Digital Rebel had a three shot buffer. That was the first consumer-level (<$1000) DSLR.

Olympus uses the same stupid xD cards as Fuji. The type H cards are the faster ones.
My D300 shoots like a machine gun. You can just hold the button down and it will shoot at 6fps till you let go. Then it might take a couple of minutes to catch up. Unfortunately this habit will fill up an 8gb CF card in a big hurry. I've been known to have to sort through about 1200 pics after a couple of days of eventful shooting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom