Comp Question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattiedread

Reaction score
I was ambivalent about buying a computer, but the more I thought about it (neither my wife nor I wear watches, nor will we be disiplined enough to check a watch with any frequency), so I've been convinced by my local dive shop to buy one (they are not chart believers, at least in my case). Now, the package I'm picking up can be extended by $200 for a Suunto basic compueter or $400 for a vyper (console mount, the whole thing on my wrist doesn't work for me). I'm leaning towards the Vyper. Any comments on this computer at that price? It seems to do everything I will need it to do for a few years.

Incidently, on the BC/Reg I'm going with a SeaTech BC and a VX10 reg. I can outfit the two of us (with a few bells and whistles, nothing too fancy) for 2,500 US. I don't think that is expensive all things considered... It is more than I would spend on ski equipment, but that is the nature of the beast (Love that quote a few weeks ago: How do you make a small fortune diving?... Start with a large one).

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Matt

Matt

I have the Vyper. $400.00??? Is that in U.S. funds for one computer? Seems a bit high if it is. I paid about 400.00-425.00 Can. funds, plus taxes, for mine (wrist mount) at my local shop. The Suunto basic you're talking about sounds like the Favor.
Anyway, I have found the vyper to be a great computer. It's a nitrox unit, versus the favor, which if I remember correctly is just air. The back light is great (but I do a lot of night diving), as is the screen display and layout. I looked at a number of different computers and am glad I went with the Vyper.

As long as you don't want to know your tank "stats", the vyper is great, but for a little more, an air-integrated cobra might be worth looking into.

If you have any specific questions about the vyper fire away.
Cheers

BTW: You might be surprised...It's really handy to simply lift your arm up and glance at your computer (when worn on the wrist).

I used a Vyper since the day they hit the market, and used it until the day the Cobra hit the market. The all deciding factor for me is the benefits the air integration added on top of the solid foundation of the Vyper. Shops are usually very eager to make a buck or two, they will go out of their way to cut you a better deal for buying, using and therefore indirectly promoting their more expensive product lines. The shop should be happy to give you discounts deeper than you have already been offered for spending a couple of extra dollars. Give it a shot, if they don't work with you, make no mistake we can find you someone whom will!

So, I'm paying a bit much... I've gone w/the Vyper. It lists for $349, on Leisure Pro, but I'm not comfortable buying a computer from them. I'm paying $379 and getting a compass on the console. Plus, I'll probably go on one of this guy's trips (he is going to Caymens, Hawaii and Bonaire over the next few months) and I have a feeling in the long run it will be a few dollars well spent. He is pretty knowledgable (college teacher), very into diving, can put up with me (took me hours to buy our gear), and dives locally on the spur of the moment. So, I knew I was paying a little much but I really didn't feel like haggling at this stage of the game.. I got all the little things, liquid spit, BCD hanger, clips etc. I'm rigged and ready to sail.. and they'll do a store exchange on the BC and Regs if we don't like them. Probably not the computer, but the way I spend money on hardware, $400 is barely a drop in the bucket.

Matt.

I think I miss-read your post. I thought you were paying for the computer on its own (console extra). Console included makes more sense. Sorry about that.
Those spur of the moment divers are great to have as buddies, especially on those weekends when you don't have plans, but have a craving to dive. The BC/reg exchange is an important option.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom