Commission closes abalone diving for the season amid a declining population

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
SONOMA_COAST__Abalone_diver_talks_about__0_231857_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

OAKLAND, Calif. - California wildlife officials voted Thursday to close sport abalone diving for the season amid concerns about a declining population.

The season was set to begin in April.

The unanimous decision by the California Fish and Game Commission came after a survey showed 37 percent of all abalone recorded were dead due to unfavorable environmental conditions.

Over the past three years, growth of kelp — a major food source for abalone – has declined significantly.

Kelp, usually common on the Northern California coast, has declined dramatically since 2014. Kelp forests are now 93 percent smaller compared to previous years, creating starvation conditions for abalone. Abalone cannot reproduce as easily when facing starvation.

What’s more, dramatic increases in purple sea urchin populations have further reduced the food available for abalone because the urchin is also vying for the kelp.

Thursday’s decision came as the Nature Conservancy and avid divers were looking for a way to save the season.

Some divers say abalone would actually be better protected if the legal fishing remained open in a limited capacity, because poaching would continue. They also worry it would never reopen once closed, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Thursday.

The Nature Conservancy says better data is needed to better manage fisheries.

Working with researchers out of the University of California, Santa Barbara, the group created an app that lets divers use their smart phones to record the location and size of their catch when they return to land.

They say engaging divers in data collection and other aspects of management could give them a stake in fisheries and encourage support of policies that improve long-term outcomes for nature and people.

Last season, sport abalone fishing was reduced by two months and the annual limit was reduced from 18 to 12 per person.

Still have my abalone gauge with notches for red, pink, green, and black sizes. Catalina was paved with them. What a wonderful job the DFG has done to wipe out all the abalone. Also used to get bucketloads of clams at Pismo Beach. The DFG fixed that too. Maybe it is time to stop buying licenses for a couple years so they can join the unemployment lines.

GOOD FOR THE CAL F& g

I would imagine the garages and dive lockers al over California have Abalone gauges hanging as a silent testimony of what was but what will never ever be experienced again.

Is yours an aluminum combo King Neptune gauge ? I designed it and King Neptune reproduced it in cast aluminum soo many years ago== about 1959 as I recall .

There are many factors leading to the declines of Abalone- Primary is the increased in population leading to water pollution-- The Cal F&G did everything possible to protect these unique natural resources

I recall so vividly when Abalone was closed in SoCal - my son Sam IV and I dove Corona Del Mar for our limits.

I am very familiar with Pismo Beach.. Twenty years ago was common to just walk to the waters edge and collect the F&G limit of 10 legal clams-- Then the Otters moved in and the Pismo Clams disappeared . Now there is a huge white shark problem - They enjoy otters- morning , noon and night

I some how fail to discern how the Cal F&G was in any way responsible for the decline of the Abalone or Lobster population .

FYI - I have captured many many lobsters in my long diving career-- There is a 17 plus pound one I mounted many years ago at Depth Perceptions in SLO

So so sad. Too bad Homo Sapiens doesn’t have a big population decline.

Sam 'I some how fail to discern how the Cal F&G was in any way responsible for the decline of the Abalone or Lobster population'
Let me break some of it down for you.
1. The DFG, in their infinite wisdom, imported abalone from Australia or some such to supplement the local island populations. They were infected with 'foot' disease - and completely wiped out the abalone at the islands. My guess is that the north coast abs were spared due to the distance.
2. My cousin was a commercial ab diver. They started out shallow picking up the reds. When the reds declined, they had to go deeper. They actually questioned the DFG as to why they didn't set some kind of limits, and always got the response that there was 'nothing to worry about'. Somewhere around the time they were deco-diving for blacks, the foot disease thing put them out of business. This all was a long time ago, and my memory is pretty hazy. We had our walkway to the house paved with abalone shells at one time. I remember going to about 140' solo to get a black, younger dumber days.
The argument that it is runoff or some such unfortunately fails to explain the die-off at all the islands. The currents just can't carry the runoff that far, and again, they were still plentiful on the north coast until very recently.

GOOD FOR THE CAL F& g

Is yours an aluminum combo King Neptune gauge ? I designed it and King Neptune reproduced it in cast aluminum soo many years ago== about 1959 as I recall .
I'll have to check. It is in storage right now.

Then the Otters moved in
exactly...
FYI - I have captured many many lobsters in my long diving career-- There is a 17 plus pound one I mounted many years ago at Depth Perceptions in SLO
Wow! that is a big bug!

Abalone season has been closed my entire diving life in Southern California. The only time I got any was at Catalina several years ago. I kept expecting for them to re-open it after seeing rocks covered with blacks and swimming over some of the biggest greens I'd ever seen. Somebody must have poached them all.

I didn’t know that history about the Australian abs... more meddling

I made CDF&W aware of one Catalina site where I stopped counting at 125 greens and pinks. I found them in a spot few divers would think of diving. We were seeing them recover in several areas around the island but the warm water and decline of giant kelp appears to have caused a decline lately.

Interesting that @JamesBon92007 saw lots of blacks. I haven't seen one in a decade or more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom