Commercial Diving Career??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to attend Divers Institute of Technology in Seatle Washington. Should I go for the Certification? I really want to make commerical diving my career and I love just being underwater. Im currently trying to expand my scuba certification at a civilian level. Im having trouble on deciding where I should go to get my certification? Ive heard from some people that its not even worth trying to get cause the commerical industry isnt booming right now. PLEASE HELP NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE!!!!!

DIT will give you a DCBC unrestricted surface supplied diver certificate (HSE Part 1 equivalent) which is good. Becoming a commercial diver right now isn't so good. The price of oil is starting to rise as a result of the strife in the middle east which is good (if you're a commercial diver). Being an American it will be harder to get offshore outside of the GOM because of the Jones Act (not good).

If I had to do it all over again would I become a commercial diver? Probably, but I'm a glutton for punishment. I get paid very well (I'm a supervisor with a well established company) but I've paid some serious dues and had military diving experience before I became a commercial diver which looks great on a CV but actually doesn't mean much. I also have good leadership skills (Army officer), a university degree, a welding ticket and significant experience in a commercial/industrial workplace and I grew up on a a farm/ranch all of which bode well for a commercial diver. Remember, diving is just the elevator to get to the job site. I'd recommend diving for fun and getting a good job or career in another field. I'm not trying to discourage you but becoming a successful commercial diver is a long hard road and you must really LOVE it to do it day in and day out for years.

Last edited:
Thanks for your information,

What about diving in the navy? I heard they have an excellent scuba program. Plus they pay for most of the expense anyway.

Yes, the USN has excellent diver trg but I wouldn't really call it a SCUBA program. I myself am not that familiar USN diver trg but I'm sure others on this board are. I know some NSW, EOD techs and Navy divers who would be happy to answer your questions, or you could go see your local recruiter which is probably your best bet. Good luck on whatever path you choose.

I want to attend Divers Institute of Technology in Seatle Washington. Should I go for the Certification? I really want to make commerical diving my career and I love just being underwater. Im currently trying to expand my scuba certification at a civilian level. Im having trouble on deciding where I should go to get my certification? Ive heard from some people that its not even worth trying to get cause the commerical industry isnt booming right now. PLEASE HELP NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE!!!!!

Do the Math, 5 Commercial diving schools within the USA Pumping out close to 100 divers every month. They are saturating the market with divers. When I went thru school in 2004 they were still paying sign on bonuses, moving expenses and flying to our school to recruit. Now kids are lining up at the doors of these companies begging for jobs. Granted the attrition rate has not changed, my opinion is they still are putting more students in the field then are quiting. So finding a job, or finding a good place to work will be much harder. More importantly, FYI most new tenders on their first job dont get in the water for 6-18 months depending on the cirumstances. The only time you will get wet is when a real diver pisses on you. That is also the general attitude you will encounter. If you can eat **** and keep your mouth shut for your first year you'll make it. My hardest thing was dealing with the fact that my supervisor didnt know half of what I knew coming out of dive school. I to am a gluten for punishment... Would do it again, just wouldn't recommend it, sorry.

The best commercial diving school in the U.S. is Santa Barbara City College. If you are going to spend the money, spend it there on housing and get an Associate Degree in Marine Technology. That will get you further than just a certificate from DIT.

Route no.2 = The U.S. Army has a civil engineering diver program as well as a combat diver program. The U.S. Navy has a underwater construction diver program, a combat swimmer program, an EOD diver program and the left overs end up a hull inspectors on some ship between their regular position as a deckhand or shop clerk. Both programs are very regorious and you will be seriously challanged physically before you are even accepted into dive school. Then you will go some where that teh local people hate you and not so local people are shooting at you.

If you are really serious get a college degree (four year) in something that could include diving like marine biology, civil engineering or keneseology, and then go find a nitch.

Yes, the USN has excellent diver trg but I wouldn't really call it a SCUBA program. I myself am not that familiar USN diver trg but I'm sure others on this board are. I know some NSW, EOD techs and Navy divers who would be happy to answer your questions, or you could go see your local recruiter which is probably your best bet. Good luck on whatever path you choose.

Tommy Gun,

As mentioned eariler the Navy program is not just a scuba program, although there are sometimes exceptions. At one time they had an EOD Apprentice program that would get your foot in the door to the Eod program with scuba & basic demo qualifications. Its my understanding that you can now enlist to become a diver, BUT Understand that if you do not make it thru the rigarous and intense training , YOU ARE STILL IN THE NAVY and committed to finishing out the term of your enlistment, doing what ever it is they need you to do...

You will get the most bottom time by taking the salvage route, in my oponion..EOD will only get you a ticket to some foreign land with the events that are going on in today.and probably not to much time in the water.. UDT Seal is another option but once again, these are very intence programs with high attrition rates..

Good luck with your decision

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom