Commercial Divers spin off from A&I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't work that way in a power plant. The lockout procedure took two hours to complete, encompassing a literal wall of switches almost 40' long. The manual we were presented with was 4" thick. We understood as much as we could and did what we were told. We had the locks, we had the keys. We followed the manual. The pump wasn't supposed to kick on

Not as simple as throwing a switch and putting a lock on it. :)

The manual could be wrong. The employee guiding you could be wrong. It doesn't matter how long it takes. You still need to try out the equipment. If the equipment runs the manual is wrong, the employee is wrong, the location is wrong, the switch is broken, or all of the above. It's your life.

Dude, use your brain. This is likely bigger and more complicated than anything you've ever seen. Like looking at a manual and trying to start the space shuttle with it. The procedure was done correctly. Believe me, mistakes like this make it all the way to the top and are in a journal that never gets destroyed. It was a malfunction.

These are not what you picture as a circuit breaker or switch. I have seen pumps that were 900hp at 12,470 volts. The breakers are as large as a refrigerator.

I couldn't find an actual picture, but trying to convey the complexity of it all.

I am the cousin of Brett Roberts, I wanted to share the real facts of his death so no one can misunderstand his circumstances. Since you all are professional divers, perhaps you can shed light on my story. He was send down to do routine maintenance. I’m not sure what that entails. He was basically sucked into some type of underwater vortex that caused him to be violently shaken to the point he died from a broken neck and blunt forced trauma to the head, he also received multiple broken bones before anyone lifted him out of the water. There are no jokes when it comes to a human life, I am not a diver myself but felt the need to set the record straight. They lost communication with him for 20 minutes before responding to 911. I’m not sure of the protocols in place for safety, but I have to hope that there are faster safeguards set for divers in high risk situations. I hope this will help anyone in the future, not to be in that same situation.

Hopefully, @Superlyte27, or someone with similar experience will be able to provide at least a partial answer for you @JimDawn08.

The manual could be wrong. The employee guiding you could be wrong. It doesn't matter how long it takes. You still need to try out the equipment. If the equipment runs the manual is wrong, the employee is wrong, the location is wrong, the switch is broken, or all of the above. It's your life.
I do not work in a nuclear plant but I imagine that the locking out mechanism could be too complex ?

Maybe it is something they should remedy and have a classic override switch nearby for workers ? Maybe they deemed that this would cause other safety risks in case of mistake and maybe that’s why they didn’t put such a mechanism. Then maybe you could just have a light nearby to tell if the mechanism was overridden so workers could check visually ?

Anyway, since I never worked in such a facility I have to trust @Superlyte27 :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom