Commercial Divers spin off from A&I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any LOTO, That is done with The folks in that area is a joke. Won’t say the name someone already did. Instead of locks they use tywraps and cards. So in essence if the operator decides to use a piece of equipment that is supposed to locked out, I always think of the meme “is it really though”?

TyWraps are legal for LOTO as long as they require 40 pounds or more to break them.

The official OSHA guidelines on LOTO procedures do not fit well into all industrial activities. Sometimes it is necessary to use modified procedures.

Watching too much Simpsons?

Bob
Science is science, and there was a three eyed fish outside of Mr. Burns's power plant.

Lol

TyWraps are legal for LOTO as long as they require 40 pounds or more to break them.

The official OSHA guidelines on LOTO procedures do not fit well into all industrial activities. Sometimes it is necessary to use modified procedures.

I used my own lock out procedure. I didn't depend on tie wraps or their locks I used my own locks. Either my tender had the keys or if I was working alone I would take the keys down with me.

I'm familiar with it being a myth. I went through a 2 hour lock out tag out at the Port St. Lucie Plant on all the travelling water screens on Reactor 1. We climbed into Pump 1 on Reactor 1. 30 minutes into the dive we heard Pump 2 kick on. Thank God the coin flip was to start cleaning Pump 1 first or I'd have been ketchup.

Your description of this near miss reads like you depended on the company to lock out the equipment. In the steel mill I worked in this would be a safety violation. All vendors were required to use their own locks that were either stamped with their name or had ID tags attached to the locks. They were required to place their own lock on the switch. The plants electricians would pull the switch for them. They were also responsible to notify the operators to try the equipment out to verify that all potential energy sources were de-energized and the equipment would not operate. If a safety lock could not fit on the switch (ex. 120 VAC breakers), lock out tags were used. All safety locks required only one key and that key had to be in possession of the person performing the work. In the case of multiple people working on the same equipment then plant locks were used to lock out the equipment; the keys went into a lock box and the lock box was secured with the workers own safety locks. Never assume someone else has the equipment locked out -- lock it out yourself -- it's your life. If anyone tells you differently refuse to do the job until safe job procedures are in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom