commercial divers, is there a demand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EllieM

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Looking into becoming a commercial diver, was wondering how difficult it is to get employment right out of the program? Are there any jobs for people with no prior experiance? Also, does having a welding ticket help with employment?

There have been a lot of diving helmets for sale on eBay. That tells me that business is slow.

Experience working in the construction industry and as a welder will help you greatly. When I was hiring, my greatest hurdle was to separate applicants with "tickets" from those who had experience getting the job done. Make no mistake, it's all about getting the job done, on time and on budget. So you have an advantage over many of people with "tickets" who have no experience.

If you are willing to travel for work, this will be beneficial. Surprisingly, there are many commercial divers who do not want to travel. They look to work for a local company where they come home most evenings. This is common in the on-shore industry (so you have to decide if you want to eventually work on-shore or off-shore; they are different animals).

Commercial Diving (like other things in-life) can be dependent upon: what you know, your experience and who you know. There is an notable element of ex-military in the commercial field and as a past-member, this may assist you in the future. As an example, three of the largest commercial diving companies in the world had ex-Navy Divers as their Director of Diving Operations.

As far as the industry is concerned, I think that the future is hopeful. Seventy percent of the earth's surface is covered with water, so if we wish to harness these resources, it's reasonable that underwater activities will be involved. One does have to be patient and persistent when looking for employment...

Good luck!

Hey everyone,
Looking into becoming a commercial diver, was wondering how difficult it is to get employment right out of the program? Are there any jobs for people with no prior experiance? Also, does having a welding ticket help with employment?

Right now times are tough in the diivng industry. Remember that a school is going to sell you an education not a job. All i heard during dive school is how many companys were chomping at the bit for divers. Not so. However, all it takes is one strong hurricane to turn things around.

Hey everyone,

There are schools that take as little as about 6 months to recieve your card, and there are ones that take a year and a half. i suggest going the the cheapest and fastest route. once you are employed with a big company that has many dp, 4 point, barges and rig work, you will be retaught everything from the ground up as a tender. the welding ticket will help with basic skills, once again, you will get retaught and certified to your new companies standards.

Hey everyone,

From what DCBC wrote, "with no prior experience", I don't know. Not saying it's not doable, it's possible.

When I was also part of a process of selecting people as well (although different from the diving industry), I was also part of the people that had to weed out a lot of applicants that has lots of certificates (in the diving world, I guess you can call it tickets) in the telecom, compare to what people really know.

Having said that, granted that I was once new to the telecom; but someone took a chance on me, because I had zero knowledge before getting to where I am today. But then again, I knew someone in the sector to helped me get in to begin with.

So what I'm saying, it's possible, but wouldn't be a sure thing, unless you have connections.

If you have the will to succeed - you will succeed. It will involve being patient and being relentlessly hard working. But there is no reason you cant make it. It is related to your own commitment to making a career of it.

Experience working in the construction industry and as a welder will help you greatly. When I was hiring, my greatest hurdle was to separate applicants with "tickets" from those who had experience getting the job done. Make no mistake, it's all about getting the job done, on time and on budget. So you have an advantage over many of people with "tickets" who have no experience.

If you are willing to travel for work, this will be beneficial. Surprisingly, there are many commercial divers who do not want to travel. They look to work for a local company where they come home most evenings. This is common in the on-shore industry (so you have to decide if you want to eventually work on-shore or off-shore; they are different animals).

Commercial Diving (like other things in-life) can be dependent upon: what you know, your experience and who you know. There is an notable element of ex-military in the commercial field and as a past-member, this may assist you in the future. As an example, three of the largest commercial diving companies in the world had ex-Navy Divers as their Director of Diving Operations.

As far as the industry is concerned, I think that the future is hopeful. Seventy percent of the earth's surface is covered with water, so if we wish to harness these resources, it's reasonable that underwater activities will be involved. One does have to be patient and persistent when looking for employment...

Good luck!

Great info, Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom