Comments/advice about these Big Blue lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Early this year, while preparing for a LOB, my husband and I purchased the following recreational dive lights:

2 x Big Blue CF 1200P (adjustable beam angle between 7° narrow beam and 37° wide beam)
1 x Big Blue AL 1200 WP (85° beam)
1 x Big Blue AL 1200 XWP (120° beam)

My question is in regards to the CF 1200P lights. Below are pictures of the 7° narrow beam and 37° wide beam. Is it me or is the 7° beam awfully annoying, with an almost square beam of light in the middle, encircled by a dark black area, and then a halo effect outside of that? The 37° also has a halo effect.

I’ve been getting an earful from the hubby complaining about this light. While I didn’t partake in any of the night dives, he kept saying that his lights were so wimpy compared to the other divers. I thought these lights were already pretty good for recreational lights. Perhaps we should splurge and get higher lumens or even tech/canister lights? Or maybe the beam is just too narrow?

What do you all think?

48B13B05-F4B4-4E0A-BDC5-3BBC5EC6B872.jpeg
351E7AAC-9D90-45C9-811B-B346BD173873.jpeg

You do not need a lot of lumens on a night dive. The two fixed focus lights you have are basically video lights. I have never used the focusable light but generally LEDs and focusable lights don't work as well as an hid did. I actually think you just need a narrow beam 1200 lumen light.

the adjustable focus lights just really don't work that well. the al1200np has a better spot but honestly the xtar d06 or d26 or dgx push 600 would have been better value for money

We have a few Big Blues in our household.......flashlights, ya pervert! Flashlights! LOL

Okay back to serious stuff. Mr OOO and I both have the 1200NP which is a 10 degree light. We use it as a daytime light for peeking in crevices and I carry it as a backup light for night dives. Mr OOO used to use his as a primary light and it was always sufficient.....until you look at the 3300 big blue that I used to use on night dives which lit up all of Indonesia or the now 3800 wide angle that I have mounted on the shoe of my camera.

It’s all relative!

The two 1200 wide angle 85 and 120 degree beams that you have are best for video or could be used for some photos as well. They would also work as a primary torch for a night dive. I’d say if you feel like it’s too weak and you aren’t into video or photo maybe sell the two 1200 wide angles and get a stronger light. I don’t think it’s necessary, though.

The CF lights are a lot brighter than the average AA-battery rental lights. If you're only using it at its narrowest every time, there's other lights that are more efficient as a lot of light seems to be lost through the lens.

They also get dimmer as the battery depletes, so if you used them in the day and did a night dive without charging, they would be dim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom