Coming to Nanaimo - July 11th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krunchy

Reaction score
My parents live near Nanaimo, and I'm coming for a week starting July 11th. I have 5 days for diving, and the Saskatchewan and Cape Breton are both on my "Must Dive" list, so I'm quite excited.

This will be my first cold water dive. I am from Toronto, and want to start diving locally, so I was thinking of taking my dry suit cert. here, and then renting a dry suit for my dives out west. Good idea?

Also, some advice: will taking on a lot of "firsts" be too much of a challenge? I like the idea of spending the first day or two either taking a course or just working with an instructor/DM to ease myself into things.

Finally, could you recommend a good dive operation in/around Nanaimo that would meet my needs?

Finally, could you recommend a good dive operation in/around Nanaimo that would meet my needs?

Nanaimo Dive Outfitters, talk to Shirley she will be more than happy to help

Cheers

Al

There is a new small-group charter operator in Nanaimo called Just Dive in Adventures and they do daily charters during the summer. They can arrange for a divemaster to be your dive buddy which I recommend when you are in unfamiliar waters.

I like the idea of getting your drysuit cert ahead of time too, along with extra training in the drysuit.

Have a great trip, dive safe, and enjoy the Nanaimo wrecks.

Taking a Dry suit course before you come is a great idea. If you do not already have it I would also recommend taking an advanced course also. If you do not have this certification it may be tough to find a divemaster that is willing to take you down to the wrecks as these are fairly deep dives. If you are PADI certified, you could probably do your bookwork at a shop close to home and then get a referral to the dive shop here and do your certification dives on the wrecks. Sink or Swim Scuba is a PADI shop in Nanaimo and could set you up with this. I have some great videos that we have shot recently of the wrecks on my website.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom