Coming Soon to the BHB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

" Remember how cool Peanut Island was before they improved it and turned it into a floating stripper bar for drunken rednecks...."

this couldnt be more true

One of the owners of Force-E worked on this project in the beginning and we look forward to its completion.

Here is a little more info...

- The location of the new artificial reef, which will be referred to as Phil Foster Park Snorkel Reef, will be located south of the BHB causeway in the sandy area.

- A combination of concrete, boulders and prefabricated artificial reef materials will be used to provide a new home to a wide range of critters.

- Diving will still be allowed during construction, however some areas will be off limits. They will remove the equipment each afternoon so night diving can continue.

- Construction is scheduled to begin the week of July 9th and will last about a month.

- Here is more information released by the Palm Beach County Board of County Commissioners and the Department of Environmental Resources Management:
philfostersnorkeltrail.jpg

Hope this helped...

Image courtesy of floridadiveconnection.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this. Thank you Force E for helping with this project. As the leading Dive Shop in the County, I'm not surprised your business is involved with this effort. I think this artificial reef is a great thing to get people who previous had no access to seeing the underwater world the ability to get involved. That can only be a good thing.

Who is doing this project? Just curious, I want to read more.
Commisioner Karen Marcus, ERM and the Parks Dept are major from the Government side, and from the Dive Association side, Shana and Dean of Pura Vida Dive Shop have done about 99% of the work to make this happen. They have massive time in this project.

---------- Post Merged at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:53 PM ----------

I don't have a problem with sharing access. I am asking if they're building special habitat for marine life in an area that makes that life even more accessible to the predations of the collectors.

In short, are they building more attractive seahorse and octo hotels in areas they can't protect? If so, I'd rather see the critters take their chances foraging and hiding in the areas that already exist.

I've got no sayso here. Don't even live or vote in Palm Beach County. Just expressing my concerns...

Actually, my understanding is that the construction is going to involve deep undercuts to allow creatures to have easy escape from collectors.
Also, the snorkelers are not silters--silting is from overweighted divers, not snorkelors.

Commisioner Karen Marcus, ERM and the Parks Dept are major from the Government side, and from the Dive Association side, Shana and Dean of Pura Vida Dive Shop have done about 99% of the work to make this happen. They have massive time in this project.

I read your statement as saying that the total involvement of all involved in the project the other ones you mention above did less than 1% of the work. Can that mean you are saying Force E overstated their involvement?

And those 60,000 registered boaters who put up the funding.... what about them? Could you have missed a decimal point (and a huge thank you) somewhere in your calculations?

I read your statement as saying that the total involvement of all involved in the project the other ones you mention above did less than 1% of the work. Can that mean you are saying Force E overstated their involvement?

And those 60,000 registered boaters who put up the funding.... what about them? Could you have missed a decimal point (and a huge thank you) somewhere in your calculations?

I said from the Dive Association. Skip did some work in the beginning, but month after month the work was done by Dean and Shana. Skip is a great guy, and he would never want to take credit for the work someone else did. The person posting as Force E is new here, and I think new to Force E as well. I am sure it was not a purposeful attempt to slight Pura Vida on her part.

Reck diver, considering how much you seem to enjoy creating arguements with me, why not meet me at BHB and cut through the internet nonsense....this is getting ridiculous.

One of the owners of Force-E worked on this project in the beginning and we look forward to its completion.

Looks like there was a misunderstanding... As originally posted, the owner of Force-E worked on the project "in the beginning". He assisted in the formulation of the idea, but has not worked on the project since then.

We posted here to show our support for the project and share some information in which people might be interested. In no way were we trying to take credit away from those that worked so hard on this project. We applaud their efforts.

The new reef will help disperse the divers at the bridge. It will probably attract more divers and snorkelers just like anything popular with the public.

Reck diver, considering how much you seem to enjoy creating arguements with me, why not meet me at BHB and cut through the internet nonsense....this is getting ridiculous.

What would such a meeting accomplish? Clearly you disagree with what I post, whether fact or opinion. On the other hand, at times I find your writings very interesting, quite revealing, eye popping and unbelievably amazing.

What would such a meeting accomplish? Clearly you disagree with what I post, whether fact or opinion. On the other hand, at times I find your writings very interesting, quite revealing, eye popping and unbelievably amazing.

I am not certain that all the disagreement is waranted on all things. Internet discussions are terrible for certain types of personalities, because they don't convey the real message...Face to face does...Can you imagine doing your most important business meetings on a discussion board? I can't, and the same subjects would not convey the same way....if it is important, face to face just gets the message clearer, easier, and usually friendlier.

If we were to meet some time, maybe after a boat dive or a BHB dive next weekend, my promise is that I would be on much better behavior than on SB :) and that my agenda would be to find more common ground, so we don't have to keep having huge flame wars...Maybe you enjoy them....right now, I think we have enough big issues to deal with, that I would rather have you on the same page with most of us, rather than against us. A meeting might give this a shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom