Coming Soon to the BHB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reck Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Phil Foster Snorkel Reef Project: Environmental permits were received for the placement of reef materials in 6-10’ of water along the southern edge of Phil Foster Park. Construction is expected to begin in late summer.

Phil Foster Park
Artificial Reef and Snorkel Trail
• Reefs will consist of discrete piles of
limestone boulders and prefabricated reef
modules placed in 6 to 10 feet of water.
• The design of each reef will include ledges
and small habitat spaces for fish, octopus,
seahorse and other types of sea life.
• Snorkelers will have easy access from the
southern shoreline of Phil Foster Park.
• Parking is free.

Not sure I like this. The place is pretty darned special as it is...why does it need to be "improved"?

Unless they're also willing to pass an ordinance to clarify the "no take" status of the area and fix any loopholes in the current law.

Who is doing this project? Just curious, I want to read more.

I googled "Phil Foster Reef Project" and the first thing that comes up is a pdf explaining this project. It looks like it will be between the southern boundary of the swim area and the boat channel. "South of the life-guarded beach area of the park in the existing buoyed boater exclusion area."

Not much more info than the op. I can't get the link to stick. Maybe someone more savvy than me can figure it out.

But I agree with Bill: hopefully the no take issue has been addressed.

Unless they're also willing to pass an ordinance to clarify the "no take" status of the area and fix any loopholes in the current law.

The No Take issues have been addressed. The submerged lands around Phil Foster Park are owned by the State of Florida. Some of the areas (under the boat docks on the North Side for instance) are leased to Palm Beach County. The lease expires in 2016. The Parks Department has zero jurisdiction regarding surrounding submerged lands and the County can not impose new regulations without the approval of the state. Therefore state regulations already in place apply. The flip side of this, it that the County is trying to find concessions (kayak, paddle board, Jet Ski etc. rental) to operate out of the park. With the lease expiring in less than 4 years, operators are wary to make the investment with no guarantees after 2016.

I can only imagine what is it going to be like to find a parking space.

Not sure I like this. The place is pretty darned special as it is...why does it need to be "improved"?

I understand the area under the BHB is special to you and others. But Phil Foster is a county park and surrounding waters should be made accessible to all those who pay taxes in the county and like to engage in water activities. It belongs to all of us.... we gotta share; like it or not.

interesting

"I understand the area under the BHB is special to you and others. But Phil Foster is a county park and surrounding waters should be made accessible to all those who pay taxes in the county and like to engage in water activities. It belongs to all of us.... we gotta share; like it or not."

I don't have a problem with sharing access. I am asking if they're building special habitat for marine life in an area that makes that life even more accessible to the predations of the collectors.

In short, are they building more attractive seahorse and octo hotels in areas they can't protect? If so, I'd rather see the critters take their chances foraging and hiding in the areas that already exist.

I've got no sayso here. Don't even live or vote in Palm Beach County. Just expressing my concerns...

I understand the concern with the "critters". There are arguments on both sides of the collection issue. That is why there are laws in place to place the final say on what can or can not occur. Right now, at the Blue Heron Bridge, recreational collection of tropicals is legal as provided by Florida law.

As an aside, the funding for the Snorkeling trail was provided by boating registration fees. ($200,000.00).

"I understand the area under the BHB is special to you and others. But Phil Foster is a county park and surrounding waters should be made accessible to all those who pay taxes in the county and like to engage in water activities. It belongs to all of us.... we gotta share; like it or not."

I don't have a problem with sharing access. I am asking if they're building special habitat for marine life in an area that makes that life even more accessible to the predations of the collectors.

In short, are they building more attractive seahorse and octo hotels in areas they can't protect? If so, I'd rather see the critters take their chances foraging and hiding in the areas that already exist.

I've got no sayso here. Don't even live or vote in Palm Beach County. Just expressing my concerns...

Those collectors pay taxes and have the right to engage in their chosen recreational activity. There is insufficient parking there now, these improvements will probably result in over use and crowding of the area and will result in a big change in the atmosphere of the site.

Remember how cool Peanut Island was before they improved it and turned it into a floating stripper bar for drunken rednecks....

Those collectors pay taxes and have the right to engage in their chosen recreational activity. There is insufficient parking there now, these improvements will probably result in over use and crowding of the area and will result in a big change in the atmosphere of the site.

Remember how cool Peanut Island was before they improved it and turned it into a floating stripper bar for drunken rednecks....

Yeah, but they took away Beer Can Island in Boynton.

I don't see any regulations changing regarding collecting, spearing or fishing. According to the terms of the lease; the county, via the commissioners will have to change the law. The Park's department can only enforce the law, they can't rewrite them. If there is a conflict between state and local laws, guess who wins.

The snorkelers will outnumber the divers, and parking will be a huge problem. If silting is a problem now, wait till the snorkelers fan the bottom. If the county gets a the jet-ski concession in there, oh god!

Of course no one is mentioning the millions of gallons of feces-containing run-off that flows through there on a daily basis. The major ecological issue at the BHB is not collectors, it is water quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom