Coming Soon – PADI® Certification Cards Transition to PADI eCards™

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
An email I received from PADI yesterday.

The PADI® organization is streamlining business operations and expediting services to members and divers during this time of uncertainty and disruption. Beginning 15 April 2020, all new PADI Divers and Members will receive their credentials within 24 hours with PADI electronic certification card – the PADI eCard™ instead of a physical card. Even during these incredibly difficult times, PADI Members in various parts of the world are continuing to conduct diving activities where appropriate. To support PADI Members, now and into the future, this new benefit provides faster and more streamlined service to the customers.

In a digital age where efficiency, sustainability and convenience is key to providing what customers want, the PADI Regional Headquarters have been evaluating members’ and students’ feedback about physical PADI certification cards. In response, all new PADI student divers with a certification location in Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa regions will receive a PADI eCard instead of a plastic certification card. Additionally, all new PADI Members and new professional-level credentials issued by PADI Asia Pacific or PADI Europe, Middle East and Africa will be issued a PADI eCard. This enables fast, convenient processing, minimizes delays and provides an overall better customer experience for student divers and members to receive their proof of certification. PADI eCards also help protect and preserve our ocean planet by reducing the use of plastics.

A good start.

I don't like to be a 'glass half empty' person but are they overlooking a couple of continents and all existing PADI customers.
My SSI and IANTD e-cards - free
My PADI - plastic ( isn't plastic a 4 letter word these days? )

Translation: We don't want to have to put of with the cost of physical cards.
It used to be a profit center. Cost $21 extra to get a C-card. I don;t know if you've ever looked into the cost of making one, but it's about 30 cents.

@Wookie - mailing alone exceeds that... equipment, electricity, people, benefits, rent to house equipment, mailing, etc. are all costs reduced by e-offerings

@Wookie - mailing alone exceeds that... equipment, electricity, people, benefits, rent to house equipment, mailing, etc. are all costs reduced by e-offerings
I agree, not bashing anyone here, but the point remains, C-cards cost PADI nothing, they were a profit center.

Just a reminder, the certification cards were usually sent to the dive shop for customer pickup. It was a way for PADI and the dive shop to get their customers to come into the shop.

I've often gone and dived on remote islands without internet or mobile phone service. The last one had a 19.2kb analog phone line connection on a shared line.
Thank God I have all the PADI cards that I could ever want, as physical cards.
One more reason to give PADI the cold shoulder, or should their attitude be extended to drivers licenses, passports and carry permits?
I can imagine the fun of the ticket sellers at the next DEMA, maybe I should take a camping chair and cooler along to the next DEMA so I can relax for the 2-3 hours it'll take to get inside.

How do we say to PADI, "Bad Dog, Bad Dog" while whipping them with a 40" Hose?

Michael

Back
Top Bottom