Coming Full Circle: Diving the O2ptima…again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dreamdive

Contributor
Reaction score
By October of 2007, I had become an Optima diver. Trading in my doubles for a rebreather was a careful decision; one involving research and asking questions. I certainly did not want to buy a “garage made” rebreather and Dive Rite, a major manufacturer of technical diving equipment, was presenting a “factory made” rebreather.

Eventually, I sold it to buy a different one. Rebreathers have become more “sophisticated” and I felt it was time to move on to something else. So for the last few years, I was able to train on and dive multiple units - a total of seven. Being able to dive different rebreathers awarded me a new perspective and an appreciation for their differences and similarities.

It was at DEMA 2014 where I spotted the “new” Optima. It had a much cleaner, more streamlined appearance. It looked really good and I became curious. Dive Rite had made multiple refinements. The loop is redesigned, making it smaller and less bulky than other over-the-shoulder-counterlung rebreathers. The biggest improvements, of course, are the electronics. Gone are the bulky, unreliable Hammerheads. With Shearwater electronics and the DiveCan system, the Optima offers redundancy like never before. There still was the issue of not having a repackable scrubber, but Dive Rite was already working on one. As I understand it, soon I can dive the Optima with either the cartridge or a repackable scrubber. A great option. I walked away from the Dive Rite booth thinking, “I really would like to dive an Optima again”.

IMG_0816.jpg

Well it took a few more months before my wish came true. Last week, I finally got my itchy fingers on a new Optima. I dived it for six days in the beautiful North Florida caves – a total of ten dives. It was a real treat!

My first impression diving the unit was how well balanced it is. I dived it with 2 Liter steels and a dry suit with zero weight. The trim on it was phenomenal! We had an enjoyable dive in Ginnie Springs and the Optima performed flawlessly and was easy to manage. Because of its short loop and smaller counterlungs, diluent or oxygen flush responses were prompt. Buoyancy was easily fine tuned on this unit. It made me look good.

In Little River, I got to find out how it would keep up under increased workloads. Work of breathing was easy. We had pretty good flow at Little River that gave me a bit of a workout and the unit performed impeccably. Maintenance between dives was easy and quick.

When I sold my Optima, I would not have guessed that I would like diving another one that much. This unit is great! I bought it originally because I liked its concepts and I would buy one again, now that it has been redesigned and improved in so many ways.

Claudia Roussos

Golum Gear already sells a packable scrubber for the Optima.

At $650 it's pricy, and to be honest it has a CO2 capacity of just over half of the ExtendAir cartridge...making it a pretty expensive addition! Unless you're planning on diving it often, you're probably better off sticking with the cartridges. I'm not planning on buying the packable scrubber myself, unless I decide to use the Optima more than my Kiss.

So it's not a refrigerator anymore? I always liked it, and I'm sure I would like it even more now. But still waiting for some type of BMCL. As for a packable scrubber, I know Don made one for Adrian. Maybe if you ask real nice.......

Golum Gear already sells a packable scrubber for the Optima.

At $650 it's pricy, and to be honest it has a CO2 capacity of just over half of the ExtendAir cartridge...making it a pretty expensive addition! Unless you're planning on diving it often, you're probably better off sticking with the cartridges. I'm not planning on buying the packable scrubber myself, unless I decide to use the Optima more than my Kiss.

Actually, DR is coming out with their own that supposedly has improved duration times. So, I would not buy the GG one just yet. Hang tight and see what DR will sell with published data.

---------- Post added June 14th, 2015 at 06:41 AM ----------

So it's not a refrigerator anymore? I always liked it, and I'm sure I would like it even more now. But still waiting for some type of BMCL. As for a packable scrubber, I know Don made one for Adrian. Maybe if you ask real nice.......

No, it lost its bulky "refrigerator" feel and instead is comfortable out of the water as it is in the water.
DR is also working on BMCLs. From what I understand, they will be coming out with them this year.
I love Don, but the one he made is totally untested. Let DR do it right (no pun intended). They do everything else right - they are running theirs through testing right now.

Back
Top Bottom