Coming for rugby, want to do some diving!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Triggerman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm coming to the North Island end of sept to mid oct for the rugby world cup. If possible I'd like to do some diving in between games. I will be staying in 3 areas the
Hawkes Bay area, Auckland area, and Wellington area. Can anyone suggest some dive shops (if any) in these areas that I can contact to get info on diving. Are there any good dive sites near any of these areas that I should check out? What are the water temps like end of sept? Thanks for your help.

I suggest you join this NZ forum, you are quite likely to get invitations to join members on their excursions. Around Auckland the best diving is in the Poor Knights 2.5 hours driving north and well worth setting aside a couple of days for. Dive! Tutakaka is the biggest operator there and has an excllent reputation. If you are after a small boat alternative Yukon and Ocean Blue are both excellent - Ocean Blue does 2 and 3 day liveaboards which in my view are the most relaxed way to get lots of diving in. There is sound diving closer to Auckland at Leigh but I drive the extra hour and half for really excellent diving. I know nothing about Hawkes Bay diving so will leave that for others.

Wellington is my 'home territory' although I am currently in Solomon Islands. There two operators: Island bay Divers and Splash Gordon, do regular day boat trips but there is excellent shore diving and a pretty active local dive community hence my suggestion to join the NZ forum. In spring water temps in Wellington are likely to be around 14C and maybe 4 or 5 degrees warmer at Poor Knights.

Enjoy yourself

Alison

Thanks for the info!! Will be very helpful planning some dives while in NZ.

Hawkesbay isn't the best for diving. There are lots of wineries for you to visit though :wink:

I agree with Alison and Down-under. Hawkes Bay is not the best diving, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Though you could detour between Auckland/Hawkes Bay for a trip to White Island and/or Volkner Rocks. White Island is pretty good, Volker Rocks is simply the best diving in the country. Few of the day charters will go to Volkner, though. Your best bet is a liveaboard on Ma Cherie with John Baker (Baker Marine Charters).

Wellington has a lot of shore diving which is very convenient. No offence to the Wellingtonians, but convenience comes at a cost.... it is all very similar! For a few dives it's great, but I wouldn't be able to find the enthusiasm for more than that.

Auckland..... well unfortunately for a city surrounded by water, the diving pretty much sucks. Goat Island is OK, but I would agree with Alison. It's worth the extra drive to the Poor Knights. You can just about do it as a big day trip, leaving Auckland at 5.30am and being back at around 8pm. But it's better off to do a more relaxed couple of days. My vote would be to go with Dive! Tutukaka if you want day trips, they are very well set up for travelling divers.

hi, would echo the comments already made here but when you come to Wellington I can really recommend SplashGordon. Even if there is nothing on with their charters when you are in town they will happily connect you with lots of keen divers who would be more than willing to show you around, their hire gear tends to be good as well.
Feel sorry for Andy in Auckland, my closest dive sites are 3 minutes from my door where I can take the camera and see plenty to photograph, dive two wrecks from shore or go a bit further (as much as another 3 minutes) and get some crayfish for tea. Sometimes I might have to drive for as much as 15 minutes to get a likely spot. Yeah convenience really sucks....:wink:

Thanks for the info ulsterkiwi and andynz!! If you don't mind I'll probably email you guys (and alison) a bit closer to the trip with what I am condsidering and see what you guys think.

On the topic of rugby, I just got tickets to the All Blacks vs France!!! I'm totally stoked to see this match!!! :D

Look forward to seeing your beautiful country in a couple of months!!!!

I reckon October must just about be the coldest month of the year in NZ waters. The knights are 15 deg or so in temp, and when I go on a charter I am about the only one in a wetsuit. If you get in before plankton bloom, however, you get beautifully clear water, whales on the way out, dolphins and seals to dive with, and a reduced number of divers in the water :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom