Coming back from split fins... suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dulinor

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
so, I’ve had the same fins since I got my own gear over a decade ago - ScubaPro TwinJets. Overall I’ve liked them, and obviously durable.

Still, on my most recent trip I realized all my finning techniques other than the flutter have totally atrophied. You *can* frog kick, etc with the Twin Jets but just never feels like the right choice. In a couple of tight passages I struggled a little to avoid silting my buddy.

Thinking about a pair of paddle fins, at least to practice with. (If they make the gear bag lighter than the massive ScubaPros that wouldn’t be a bad thing either.)

For reference though, I’m a coddled warm water diver. I might like reading about cool tech stuff but I don’t see that being my profile anytime soon. I do try to take pictures, so the improved maneuverability (you can go backwards!) is a draw.

I’ve looked at the Deep 6 Eddy fins, but also plenty of more basic paddle designs out there. Still want to cover ground in simple open water situations. Even considering losing the boots and going for full pocket fins.

Last edited:
Those look interesting - although wow, long. Of course, my perceptions are probably pretty warped at this point.

DiveRite XT's are good paddle fins with a different profile than the Jet or Rocket style.

I’ve looked at the Deep 6 Eddy fins, but also plenty of more basic paddle designs out there.

Do you tend to be foot-light, or foot-heavy? I like my Deep 6 Eddy's, and used OMS Slipstreams before them, for much the same reason; both are light, and help avoid worsening my tendency toward sinking feet. If you're after horizontal trim, this can make a difference (such as in whether I shift so much weight from integrated release pockets to non-releasable rear trim pockets that, in an emergency, I'd have little ditchable!).

But if you tend to have 'floaty' feet, your needs may be different.

Richard.

I've used Slipstreams, Dive Rites, and the Deep 6 Eddy fins, which are far and away my favorite.

I switched to Scubapro nova seawing full foot about 6 years ago and they leave nothing to be desired. When I decided to get a pair of open heel for colder dives, I went with dive rite but they KILLED my knees and After two days of diving in Bermuda, I had to borrow ANYTHING else from The divemaster for the remainder of the trip. When I get around to open heels again, it will be the nova seawing. They feel effortless and I do a variety of kicks with them. Any silting I caused in the Coron wrecks on my last trip can not be blamed on the fins, only on the diver. Great fins for me.

I don’t usually have a problem maintaining trim but if distracted or stop caring (safety stop, etc) I tend to go vertical. So either heavy footed or the negative scuba pros are taking over.

For fans of the deep 6 fins - are they good in open water? They seem maneuverable and great in challenging applications but dunno if that’s the ideal profile for a Caribbean rec dive...

They're fine for warm water rec dives. With a little practice they'll make it much easier to position yourself for camera shots and to avoid kicking up the reef. Lighter fins will help, but not necessarily solve, your trim problem. That will involve your weight distribution and posture too.

Last edited:
Mares Avanti Quattro Power full foot fins for me... great for tropical use, plenty of power if you encounter strong currents like I experienced in Komodo!

Mares Avanti Quattro Power.JPG

Avanti Quattro Power

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom