Combo 2 week resort / liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjmochi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I couldn't resist, I want to talk about a hypothetical 2 weeker in December.

Maldives was our last trip before covid and seems like the most hassle-free place to go at the moment (no quarantine, just a negative test before the trip, no further tests/restrictions after you land, and boats/resorts can do the PCR test on site for the return!). We did the classic 1 week best of Maldives route in 2019 (also in Dec) and debating whether we want to repeat it, or do the resort thing, or (most likely) 1 week liveaboard + 1 week resort. I wouldn't mind some real do-nothing R&R after 2 years of no vacation vs trying to cramp as many dives in as possible, hence leaning toward the combo.

On liveaboard, the boat we took last time (Soleil 2) was ok but the food wasn't great (bland) and it was a bit too crowded (think 28 divers), so we want to try a new one. Anyone been on one and really enjoyed the food? I was thinking of paying a bit more for the Scubaspa boats since a friend had been and said it was amazing, it has the highest ratings on liveaboard.com including raves about the food, but then some reviews said the dive guides don't really know the sites and the selection wasn't great. Also looking at the Carpe (Vita) and Emperor boats (Voyager for the big windows), they all seem to be around the same price point.

On resort any recommendations for one that has a great house reef (will snorkel, maybe try free dive if they offer instruction) and great food? I've done the over-the-water thing in Bora Bora/Rangiroa and would be willing to pay a bit more for it again, especially if it's over a good house reef, but food is actually most important for us haha. It seems a lot of the resorts offer half-board. Ambience-wise would prefer a more true down-to-earth island-vibe rather than a large commercialized resort. I was thinking of some place in S Ari to get more chances of whale shark trip since last time the liveaboard only had 1 day planned and we only saw 1 and didn't get that close nor swam that long with it. Based on my research so far I'm leaning toward Mirihi, anyone been? I find sometimes the TripAdvisor non-diver reviews will rave about the snorkeling/diving but then we go and get disappointed lol.

I should add - the 3 standpoint dives I remember from our last trip was the manta night dive, the nurse shark night dive, and fish factory towards the end. I wouldn't mind repeating these 3 more than once. I think the S Ari resorts can go to Maaya Thila / Alimantha? Not sure where I need to be based if I want to go to Fish Factory, is it accessible from Male itself (don't want to pay for seaplane transfer at a second resort in N Male)? I recall the channel dives were decent but not that memorable, and definitely fell short compared to say French Polynesia (Fakarava), so I was thinking classic central route would be good for what I want to see (mantas! whale sharks! fish soup!) vs deep south (also more hassle with the domestic flight).

Thx

Great idea to combine a week liveaboard with a week at a resort. Just to note, a smaller resort island may not have a dive operation, or not have the caliber you should have. You should get the full board option but not the all-inclusive. I only have experience at Kuredu, which is a very large resort, but does have excellent food, a top-notch dive operation, ok house reef and some really nice boat dive sites. And, it is north in the Llaviyani atoll which might make a good contrast to a southern liveaboard. In Ari Alif atoll, Veligandhu has a really nice reef, and there are at least a dozen nice dive sites around there, plus nice snorkeling from shore. I can't speak for the resort itself since I stayed on Rasdhoo and didn't dive. Have fun exploring your options! BTW nurse sharks (and other sharks and rays) are everywhere, and most places have at least one local site with reliable manta sightings, so whale sharks should guide your choice, and time of year will have more to do with it (ie would be better to go January through April.) Book later in December rather than early December to make sure you avoid the tail end of the monsoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom