combing my camera rig and go pro? too much frankstein looking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking of mounting my go pro to my current camera set up - I set it on the housing in the picture - not sure exactly how I would attach it yet - but probably could figure something out (epoxy)

I also just purchased 2 hog morph 1000 back up lights with video head to use. I am trying to see if I could make it all one rig, or if I am better having separate rigs?
It looks like you can attach a second handle or get a new tray? I have some of the ball joints to attach to a second handle (see my close up pic).

Then if you have an attachment to attach the light to the ball joint?

Finally I would need a way of attachment the second light to the strobe - an inon z-240 - if all else fails, zip ties?

maybe this is way to much of a frankenstein idea and I should just go with a second different set up all together and not try to take pics and video on the same dive?

ideas?

thanks!
IMG_0325.JPGIMG_0326.JPGIMG_0327.JPG

I usually treat each dive as photo or video, but not both. I tend to think video is about recording movement. You can try to photograph movement, but you have to be lucky to get "the shot".

Knowing in advance what I'm likely to see, I'll choose photo or video and my mind is set to look for appropriate subjects. A nice beautiful coral head makes a nice photo, but boring video. That swimming turtle would make an amazing photo if I'm lucky enough to get it framed correctly, in focus and with the right exposure, but getting it on video is fairly easy.

If you are going to try to do both on a dive, I suggest skipping the video lights and just use a video filter. Record video while you are shooting pictures. This way if all you get is fish butt, you'll at least have a good chance of some decent video.

I usually treat each dive as photo or video, but not both. I tend to think video is about recording movement. You can try to photograph movement, but you have to be lucky to get "the shot".

Knowing in advance what I'm likely to see, I'll choose photo or video and my mind is set to look for appropriate subjects. A nice beautiful coral head makes a nice photo, but boring video. That swimming turtle would make an amazing photo if I'm lucky enough to get it framed correctly, in focus and with the right exposure, but getting it on video is fairly easy.

If you are going to try to do both on a dive, I suggest skipping the video lights and just use a video filter. Record video while you are shooting pictures. This way if all you get is fish butt, you'll at least have a good chance of some decent video.

ya - I am thinking that I will just have two separate rigs, it means more gear to travel with but it looks like I can get a pretty compact video set up

I think you can make it work if you get a few triple clamps.

Use one triple clamp on top of each handle and run an arm across the top of the camera, which you mount the gopro to.

Then, triple clamps on the strobes so you can mount a light right alongside each strobe.

I like to carry a gopro on my camera housing but with a larger ikelite, I use the focus light mount. It's nice when shooting macro, to have the ability to snap a wide angle shot or a video clip if a ray buzzes me.

Back
Top Bottom