Combined Photo + Video Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JW3

New
Reaction score
Hi all new to underwater photography, but not to photography in general. Trying to set up a singular rig for multiple liveaboards I am doing this year that can do both photo and video. Currently I have a Sony A7rii and a GoPro hero 8 black. I am looking at getting the Meikon underwater housing for the a7rii and will mount the GoPro directly over the lens(out of plane from each other)

Are there any lighting systems that will run video lights for the GoPro then automatically kick the video light off for a stobe when I push the A7rii shutter?

Many focus lights have an auto-off mode that turns off the continuous light for a split second while the strobes fire. Not sure if they will be powerful enough as video lights though. A dedicated video light with remote control capabilities would be more versatile. The remote can be mounted to the tray of your camera rig so that you can control the video lights quickly without removing your hand from the tray handle. Kraken hydra lights are remote control ready and have lots of other features: Hydra-3500+S-RGB 3500 Wide, Spot, Red, Green, Blue, Mixed and UV

I wouldn't worry about it. Strobes will be so much brighter than your video lights that they are extremely unlikely to affect the picture. I have used a pretty bright video light as my focus light before. It doesn't shut off when the strobes fire. You can't tell it's there in the pictures.

My biggest concern was to have the focus (video) light turn off so as not to illuminate particulate in the water and create backscatter in the photo. Like I said, the strobes are so much brighter, what the focus light is doing just doesn't matter.

Unless maybe you're going to have something like 10,000 lumen video lights. I guess those might be bright enough to create backscatter that shows up.

Back
Top Bottom