Colourfull unknown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alijtaylor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi
The attached is a poor photo but that is usually the way of it. The fish is about 8 inches long, spotted in 5m of water, under coral on a beach in the Solomon Islands (Melanesia).

Behaviour - it darted about a lot under a rock and back out (hence the poor photo). Suggestions appreciated. I have tried my (one) reference book.

Unknown3.jpg

Alison

It has the color pattern of a juvenile Oriental Sweetlips and your description of its behavior is certainly consistent with that of a juvenile Sweetlips: ie, it is a test of your will and patience to take a picture of it. The only oddity is the size - I've never seen an 8-inch long juvenile - usually they tend to be 2 to 4 inches.

Surely juvenile sweetlips, best match is Oriental, though size you reference is atypical.

Thanks to both of you, I suspect my recall of size might leave a little to be desired! I was out walking today and discussed it with another local diver who guessed a juvenile sweetlips and looking at the photos in my book I suspect that is indeed what it was.
Cheers
Alison

Back
Top Bottom