color of strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alby320

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone, I was wondering what is the best color to have for a tank light on night dives. I have heard a couple differant answers so I wanted to post here and see what the majority says. I Dive in New England waters and have heard white and green to be the most popular answers. What do people think on here ?

Also what tank light/strobe do you suggest ? how are the glo-toob fx series strobes ?

White, blue and green penetrate the farthest, in that order. Red penetrates the least distance. Basic light-through-water stuff.

I use a green Glo-Toob FX. Love it. The "throb" setting rocks... not as visually annoying as an actual blinking light, but still enough "psuedo-movement" that the eye finds it easier.

I should qualify that: I used to use a Glo-Toob FX, with the scuba cap. But I've flooded three of them and got tired of sending them in for replacement, so now they collect dust in my spare gear bag. The simple (if ugly and annoying, and red so poor penetration) UK Tank Marker light uses cheap standard batteries and has been rock-solid reliable, as much as I hate to say it.

White, blue and green penetrate the farthest, in that order.

I think that really depends on the water.
White will consume the most energy at it is producing wave lengths that get quickly absorbed like red, orange and yellow.
In blue water a blue light should travel further but in greenish water green light will travel further.

Now if its a white light bulb with a coloured lens then removing the coloured lens will produce the best result. But if its a coloured LED you may be better matching it to the colour of the water you dive in.
But then some colours may be more efficient to produce with LEDs than others....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom