Color correction in FCP X before/after examples

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be Alpha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Here I have a few examples of color corrections in FCP X.
I used a Gopro Hero 3 BE. All film shots were made without additional light.
Of course you can not replace the use of light, but the results are noticeably better.

It's a very old thread, but since I was going to open a new one with exactly the same question, I just bump this one up, holing the author will also contribute.

I'm using FCP X and I'm experimenting with ways to color correct my videos when shooting without lights ( or when the subject is far away )
Typical situation: Paralenz camera, ambient light, auto white balance ON.
If I use the auto color-correct ( either from the camera or from FCP X ), it removes most of the blue, resulting in a grey-ish background.

What I'd like to have advice on, is a manual color correction settings that still looks natural.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Carmelo

Hi there,I am also a rookie diver fumbling with GoPro video editing. From my limited experience, the combination of a color curve and later a color adjustment panel would solve the problem to a good extent. The problem with video shot underwater is the lack of red light as the long wavelength lights get absorbed faster with depth. So Color Curve in FCPX to remove excessive green and add red while tuning the blue curve to get the back ground sea blue that u want. Then use color adjustment panel to fine tune the exposure, contrast, tint all those good stuff. Then it's a problem of pure labor as without artificial lights the same color grading won't look the best at all depth and natural lighting conditions. You might want to edit up and fine tune color for each segment.

I was fine before I read this post now everything looks blue green down there.

I was fine before I read this post now everything looks blue green down there.
Documentary makers have top of the line cameras and post production ability. They use 10bit RAW video files for maximum color correction capacity. Also they have extensive underwater lightning equipment to supply artificial full-spectrum visible light. That's why the documentaries always look fabulous and not something a normal person with a GoPro and FCPX can do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom