Color Balancing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So here are some thoughts I had and some questions (I'm using an Oly c5050).

When you use the manual white balance and use a white slate to balance off you are looking to balance the RGB channels which should all have the same signal strength under ambient life (but of course not at depth)?

Would there be any benefit to photographing a standard color chart on the surface and at various depths? Then create a graph to allow the various extinction co-efficients (absorbtions) of light to be calculated at any depth. I'm sure there is a theory to allow this to be done, if it's not already out there - but it would still need to be correlated with the camera.

Also let's say for example that at 30 feet you have lost 95% of all red and 10% of green. If you took a picture at 30 feet without any correction and then added 95% red to all color channels and 10% green would you end up with a "true" image or would it have some off colouring due something which is pure blue having had some green and red added to it?

I'm beginning to see why color correction is such a big deal!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom