color and printing help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buleetu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i recently printed a picture i had converted to black and white with cs3

when i looked at the print it was totally different to what was on the screen of my laptop, so i posted here and it was suggested i got a spyder 2 calibration thingy

i was reading a little bit tonight about color spaces and gamut and all that confusing stuff and im just wondering if there is a way to get the prints to come out closer to what i see on my laptop screen without having to buy any hardware, im not looking for perfection, i just wanna be able to print a black and white picture and not have it come out with a green tint

i was messing around with the color managment of the video card in my laptop

would i try to set it the same as the setup of cs3

thanks guys

i recently printed a picture i had converted to black and white with cs3

when i looked at the print it was totally different to what was on the screen of my laptop, so i posted here and it was suggested i got a spyder 2 calibration thingy

i was reading a little bit tonight about color spaces and gamut and all that confusing stuff and im just wondering if there is a way to get the prints to come out closer to what i see on my laptop screen without having to buy any hardware, im not looking for perfection, i just wanna be able to print a black and white picture and not have it come out with a green tint

i was messing around with the color managment of the video card in my laptop

would i try to set it the same as the setup of cs3

thanks guys

Well there is a couple of simple ways.. there are a couple of sites that do a basic job of setting up your monitor, and you can usually get profiles for the standard paper from the printer company... Canon has profiles for their printers and their paper.. epson has profiles for their printers and their paper...

Oh, and I like the Eye-one over the spyder.

There's also Adobe Gamma with Windows that is a calibration tool that you don't need to buy.

If you could post a small version it would be great.

If you are getting a green tint and it looks black/white, you definitely need to calibrate your monitor :wink:

If you converted a picture to B/W with Photoshop and the print looks green, I'd guess it's the printer, not the monitor. Did you get it done at a lab or with your own printer? The machines at most labs automatically "correct" for exposure, contrast, sharpness, colour balance, etc. , so I always get different results with different labs. I also had my own printer that made prints with green shadows when you looked at them under bright light. I think it was the black ink (it seemed to actually be very dark green).

this is the picture, does it look green on ur monitors

bwtest.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, doesn't look too green here.

How did you convert to black white in PS?

Very much could be the printer you used.

BTW what a cute shot! If you wanted to really make it pop have a play around some more with your conversion to give it more pop & zing :)

hah thanks alcina its a nice one

i used cs3 raw to convert it,,, it has to be the printer doesnt it

so is there a way to make the printer more precise??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom