College Student Seeking Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm a marketing and advertising student at Indiana University, South Bend. I'm part of a group marketing research project, and we're trying to help HotSnapz Inc., figure out how to best market their products to scuba divers. The "warming pack" is inserted between the skin and the suit in order to help with the heat loss problem. We're currently looking to interview scuba divers over discussion forums in order to provide clarifications and insights into the scuba market, product designs, advertisements, etc. We'd prefer to conduct personal interviews, but time, budget, and location constraints limit us to this method of interviewing. We would greatly appreciate any responses to our interview.

Thank You,
Hard-Working College Students

Please be Informed of the Following:
1.) We’re doing research for HotSnapz as part of a group project for our Marketing Research class at Indiana University, South Bend.
2.) Any information collected will be used solely for research purposes
3.) We have no vested interest in the success or failure of the product, but rather are learning how to apply concepts from our class to an actual research project.

Name:

Estimated Annual Income:
Less than $10,000 
$10,000-$20,000 
$20,000-$30,000 
$30,000-$40,000 
$40,000-$50,000 
$50,000-$60,000 
$60,000-$70,000 
$70,000-$80,000 
$80,000-$90,000 
$90,000-$100,000 
$100,000-$120,000 
More than $120,000 

Highest Education Level:
Some High School 
High School Diploma (or equivalent) 
Some College 
Associate’s Degree 
Bachelor’s Degree 
Master’s Degree 

Scuba Certifications? List below.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being little experience and 10 being professional, rate your scuba diving experience level.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Little Somewhat Fairly Very Professional
Experience Experienced Experienced Experienced

Introduction of the Product:
HotSnapz are reusable, waterproof “warming packs” that scuba divers can insert between their skin and their suit to prevent heat loss. The pack comes in different sizes, with duration of heat dependent on size.

Interview Questions:

1.) Have you ever experienced the problem of “heat loss?”

If yes,
a.) How have you dealt with this problem in the past? (If you’ve never used a “warming pack” go to b.)

If you’ve used a “warming pack” before (skip b),
i.) Did the pack adequately combat the problem for you?

ii.) Have you ever had a problem with the pack getting too hot? (if no, go to v.)

iii.) If so, do you think a pouch in which to insert the pack would solve the problem? (if no, go to v)

iv.) If so, what features of such a pouch would you find desirable?
Size?

Shape?

Color?

Texture?

Anything else?

v.) Do you only use a “warming pack” in cold water?

vi.) Are there other ways in which you use this product? (Other activities, sports, etc.)

vii.) Where do you currently purchase “warming packs”?

aa.) Where would you prefer to purchase them?

viii.) What have the companies that market “warming packs” done to advertise their products to you?

ix.) What kind of advertisements do you prefer? (Pop-ups, direct mail, magazines, emails, etc)

b.) Are you open to new methods of combating the “heat loss” problem?

Explain (why you said yes or no)…

If no, (you probably dive in warm waters)
a.) Do you dive primarily in warm water?

b.) Do you think using HotSnapz may help to combat the problem of “heat” loss that cold-water divers frequently encounter?

2.) How does the “reusability factor” of HotSnapz make you feel about this product?

3.) What product features of a “warming pack” would you find desirable?
Size?

Shape?

Color?

Texture?

Anything else?

4.) Do you think divers would only use this type of product in cold water?(Would they ever use it in relatively warm water)

5.) Do you think divers may find other ways in which they’d use a “warming pack”? (Other activities, sports, etc.)

6.) Where do you think divers would like to purchase “warming packs”? (Over the internet, dive shops, general purpose stores, etc.)

7.) What kinds of advertisements do you prefer? (Pop-ups, direct mail, magazines, emails, etc.)

8.) Do you think the pack might get too hot and lead to skin discomfort?

9.) Do you think a pouch in which to insert the “warming pack” would solve such a problem?

10.) What features of such a pouch would you find desirable?
Size?

Shape?

Color?

Texture?

Anything else?

So I see Sunshine Girl that on your bio you are listed as Male---what up with the log on name? lol

Do you have an email to respond to? Many/most won't want to put income levels on a public forum. Many of the questions are redundant/repetitive.

But if it helps, I'm an "average" diver with 115 dives over 7 years, mostly warm water in the Gulf or Florida, some cold ones in springs or in New England. If I'm cold, or planning on being cold, then I haven't planned my dive or my exposure protection (wetsuit, hood, gloves) correctly, which is bad practice. We've all done it, and all been cold some time, but planning a dive where you know beforehand you're going to get too cold is semi-unsafe and boneheaded.

So if I'm going to use a warming pack to make up for too little neoprene, then it has to be absolutely effective and absolutely reliable. I've never used one, and probably won't unless and until I hear of other divers using them effectively, and I haven't, though I don't get around that much. But I've never even heard of them in the first place, until your survey. It's easy to rent a thicker wetsuit if you travel to someplace cold.

Want the awful truth as to your competition?? Many of us drink extra liquids before a cool water dive, and then, uh, "recycle" those warmed-up liquids into our wetsuits during the dive, a wonderful and warm feeling, and being underwater physiologically makes you have to go anyway. So that's what you're competing with, at least with me.

Further to all the above, color wouldn't matter, texture wouldn't matter much as long as it was comfortable, reliability, longevity, cost, and knowing how to use a new technology and having absolute confidence in it would be paramount to me. If I didn't have these things, I'd stick with the old-school methods of conserving heat rather than carrying a heater with me.

Good luck with your survey.

All new profiles are listed as MALE until they are filled out. My guess is that she has not had the chance to fill her profile out yet.

ScubaTexan:
All new profiles are listed as MALE until they are filled out. My guess is that she has not had the chance to fill her profile out yet.

Oh, I see!!

Why would profiles list all new members as male until filled out and not just "unspecified" or something similar???

As it is... I'd like to help with the research, but I'm just not comfortable to share that much information over the internet. So I'll share what I can:
I'm a female instructor in my early 20's that dives in temperate Canadian waters year round. I would be very interested in such a device, if such a thing could be used under a drysuit as well. I'm always interested in new ways to combat heat loss as long as it were priced reasonably (I'm a student and a dive instructor... my yearly income isn't anything to brag about). Colour wouldn't matter to me at all, but shape and texture must be comfortable.

I can't give you instructions in market research, somebody else will have to do that down the road, someday in the next semester.

For any serious SCUBABoard information seekers- this is what this is all about....

My Female Dive Unit has been using your product http://www.hotsnapz.com/ or any one of the bazillion similar types that have been available for many years.

Evereybody sells these things from shopping mall kiosks to flea markets to drug stores. They are miniature waterbed thingies, snap-click the metallic button inside and , voila, instant 130-140* heat.

When discharged and cooled down, reset them to "ready" position by boiling in water or microwaving, depending upon model.

She uses it against her bathing suit abdomen, under her 5 mil wetsuit. She wears this rig all the time, even in 84* water. She has a couple that measure maybe 9x16". On a liveaboard, recharging them can be problematic due to work load of kitchen staff as well as the size of the unit she prefers. Anything smaller would cool off quite quickly due to its lack of mass.

This is indeed a product that needs marketing. Good luck getting the dive shops to buy into it, as the product has been prostituted from here to there and can be gotten for its basic product cost... pennies- to astronomical retail. Looks like your comopany is at full retail... and God bless 'em.

see http://www.9thtee.com/reheater.htm , http://www.thermophore.com/features_benefits.html , http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=288 , http://www.sketches.com.au/retail/heatpack/faq.asp , http://www.aaoobfoods.com/emreheatcool.htm , http://chinasuppliers.alibaba.com/search/china_products/Heat_Pack.html

Divers are notoriously parsimonious, but if you can show a "serious" female diver that this will help end her shuddering, you will have a sale. That's one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom