Cold weather diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natalia Avseenko (look her up) free dives naked under ice with Beluga whales. I can't even dive Southern California without a drysuit. :)
If I look her up, will any images be NSFW?

I’ve run into what seems to be a lot of macho crap from people who must train more PSD divers than anything else - - and I was inquiring about the basic recreational ice diving class. Something tells me they don’t get a lot of women wanting to ice dive. But we all here know I love cold, and I’m crazy like that! :D That PSD mindset really has no place in the recreational ice diving class. I simply love cold and want to experience ice diving - something totally different.
Maybe just a bit uninformed?

Got to WVFA76home and scroll waaaay down to 2011, ice diving event. It is unfortunate that the (massive) slideshow was taken down. Many women participated. Only one first responder dove wet. She was saving up for both a marriage ceremony and a drysuit.

Macho doesn't work in PSD. If a kid fell through the ice are you really going to walk a fully suited rescue diver out there? And if you send your best out first and there is a problem, who is going to help?

It is all about training and adherence to procedures. The 'macho' and BS are for the evening dinners afterward. :wink:

Everyone supports everyone else. Everyone gives what one can, there is a lot to be done, and physical power does not cover all bases.

if you cant find an instructor to accommodate you WE will ..... all dives are done with safety in mind but can be modified keeping disabilities in mind ........steve
I’m doing it if we have ice. Might have to travel into a surrounding state. Found an instructor who is willing to accommodate my physical issues (iffy knees/sciatica), as I won’t be able to do any heavy lifting, helping to haul divers out of the water, or anything of that sort. That seems to not always be the case.

I’ve run into what seems to be a lot of macho crap from people who must train more PSD divers than anything else - - and I was inquiring about the basic recreational ice diving class. Something tells me they don’t get a lot of women wanting to ice dive. But we all here know I love cold, and I’m crazy like that! :D That PSD mindset really has no place in the recreational ice diving class. I simply love cold and want to experience ice diving - something totally different.

if you cant find an instructor to accommodate you WE will ..... all dives are done with safety in mind but can be modified keeping disabilities in mind ........steve

I found someone. You’re too far. The dives aren’t the problem. The problem was some of the surface stuff and unreasonable expectations. I was told that if I wasn’t able to help cut the hole open, haul heavy gear (not talking about my dive gear), or help haul a diver out of the water, I wasn’t a “team player” and wouldn’t really be welcome. Didn’t matter I’d never touched a chainsaw before in my life or that I’d hurt myself doing heavy lifting. That’s what I meant by the macho crap.

lol Sam .actually Marie we have gone back to an ice saw its actually FASTER cutting the hole , we do have a chainsaw but its only a back up ......its interesting I am always learning an refining , and now finding that the "old ways " are new again ...!!!!!!

Team 2 with the saw!

Ice Saw.JPG

OK, OK. We are a bunch of posers. Team 1 cut the hole. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom