Cold Shoe Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glenn K.

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone, I have a cold shoe 6" flex arm attached to my Fantasea housing with a Kraken 3500 light on the other end. I tried the system for the 1st time yesterday and the flex arm mount kept coming lose at the housing. It even separated a couple of times. I had the foresight to attach a tether to both so I wouldn't lose the light. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to keep the tightening screw from loosening?

The usual solutions for keeping something from unscrewing is to apply locktite to the threads or a mechanical device such as a star or split washer. That being said, neither one of those may be attractive solutions to your case....if this is true, perhaps instead you can cut out some grip tape (an adhesive backed sandpaper of sorts) and apply it to either the housing or the flex arm mount (or both).

They make grip tape for use outdoors...I would look at what is available for skateboards as a start point if you think it might work.

-Z

The usual solutions for keeping something from unscrewing is to apply locktite to the threads or a mechanical device such as a star or split washer. That being said, neither one of those may be attractive solutions to your case....if this is true, perhaps instead you can cut out some grip tape (an adhesive backed sandpaper of sorts) and apply it to either the housing or the flex arm mount (or both).

They make grip tape for use outdoors...I would look at what is available for skateboards as a start point if you think it might work.

-Z
Thanks Zef, I think I'm going to try tightening with a pair of pliers for my next try and am looking for a lightweight pair for traveling with. My save-a-dive kit just keeps getting bigger and bigger ;-)

Whenever I bolt lockline to something I add a split washer (a.k.a. 'lock washer') between the bolt head and the plastic locline base. It never loosened until I wanted to take it apart - even many dozens of dives.

Back
Top Bottom