Cold(er) Water Hands and Feet (full foot fins) recomendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WebmasterJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
First off I am a warm water diver and unfortunately get cold pretty easily. This winter I am planning on doing some diving in 50-60 degree water and already have a 7mil wetsuit and hood that I have used previously and love.

My issue is my hands and feet, I can only wear full foot fins as booties and strap fins make me feel like I have bricks on my feet and generate no power. I do however have a size larger full foot fins so I can accommodate some kind of socks/booties.

My wife has used Lavacore shirts and hoods in the past, is there something similar to lava-core for feet and hands to keep things warm? Still need to use my hands so big mittens unfortunately are not an option.

Was wondering if there was some kind of glove/sock that provided some temperature exposure while being fairly thin.

I have used full foot free dive fins off Catalina in maybe 52 degree water.....I used a pair of 5mm neoprene socks and a larger foot packet on the blades....I will say this thick a bootie is a sloppier power transfer for full foot fins than the 2.5's or the 3''s..you do feel the difference.

For Gloves my wife and I use Waterproof G1 3 finger 7mm semi dry gloves.
Even though they are mitts we have no problems manipulating things.
Our hands stay toasty warm in the 50's. Disclaimer: pain in the butt to get on if it is hot outside, and your hands are sweaty.

Back
Top Bottom