Coffee on dive trips and liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or you can just go with cowboy coffee. boil the grinds in water and pour out carefully.
Yuk. Bitter and grainy.
I worked as a whitewater raft guide one summer when I was a teen. We cracked an egg and mixed it in along with the grounds when making the morning pot of coffee over the campfire. When it was done we poured a cup of cold water into the pot to sink the raft of grounds and solidified egg. The coffee came out grit-free and mellow. Apparently something in the egg counteracted the bitterness you usually get with over-boiled coffee.

Let me do a quick Google to see if my memory holds up:

I worked as a whitewater raft guide one summer when I was a teen. We cracked an egg and mixed it in along with the grounds when making the morning pot of coffee over the campfire. When it was done we poured a cup of cold water into the pot to sink the raft of grounds and solidified egg. The coffee came out grit-free and mellow. Apparently something in the egg counteracted the bitterness you usually get with over-boiled coffee.

Let me do a quick Google to see if my memory holds up:

My great Aunt (who functioned as my Mother's mother) who was effectively therefore my Grandmother, in rural, Southern Mississippi, used to just boil the coffee and strain it to pour it out. The little hen house out back didn't deliver enough eggs to waste one on a pot of coffee!

My great Aunt (who functioned as my Mother's mother) who was effectively therefore my Grandmother, in rural, Southern Mississippi, used to just boil the coffee and strain it to pour it out. The little hen house out back didn't deliver enough eggs to waste one on a pot of coffee!
We were usually cooking for 15-20 people. When you go though 3 or 4 dozen eggs in a typical breakfast, one or two more isn't going to get noticed.

Great thread.

I'm definitely a coffee snob, my aeropress and hand grinder follow me on most of my adventures.

A few years back I was on a trip with me bringing fresh whole beans and my friend bringing pre ground. We agreed that for normal taste buds, there isn't much difference in day 1 or 2. By day 3+ though I definitely preferred my whole beans.

Also general bean life post roast is relative to roast level. Some very dark roasts are done in a week, and some very light roasts don't even fully off gas for 2 weeks.

I don't roast coffee because after giving it a try I decided that I don't have the time money or motivation to learn how to roast to my liking. Also I am lucky enough to have an amazing roaster a 5 min walk from work

For whoever it was that had the pavoni lever machine, I would encourage you to try another machine sometime, with fresh beans and a good grinder. The pavonis are extremely difficult to get good coffee out of.

If anyone is curious my home setup is a la marzocco linea mini with a big old commercial grinder I rebuilt a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom