CoCoView questions...good for AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geebee

Reaction score
Whooo Hooo .........only 24 more shopping days until my first trip to Roatan. I'm staying at CCV 3/30 to 4/5.

After 20 years, and 200 dives, I'm finally thinking of taking the Advanced Open Water dive course. I know there are some CCV nuts here, so a couple of questions, please.

Do you think CCV is a good place to take the AOW? If yes, are there divemasters there you would specificly recommend as teachers? Are there DM's you would recommend avoiding?

Also, I booked an overwater cabin without AC. As I look at the current temperatures down there inching up, I wonder if those rooms may be too hot and steamy. Maybe I should try and switch to an AC on land room? Any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice,

GB

Why bother with AOW at this point? Are you running into boat captains that insist on it no matter what. I thought they back off if you have a log book to show them.

geebee once bubbled...
Whooo Hooo .........only 24 more shopping days until my first trip to Roatan. I'm staying at CCV 3/30 to 4/5.

After 20 years, and 200 dives, I'm finally thinking of taking the Advanced Open Water dive course. I know there are some CCV nuts here, so a couple of questions, please.

Do you think CCV is a good place to take the AOW? If yes, are there divemasters there you would specificly recommend as teachers? Are there DM's you would recommend avoiding?

Also, I booked an overwater cabin without AC. As I look at the current temperatures down there inching up, I wonder if those rooms may be too hot and steamy. Maybe I should try and switch to an AC on land room? Any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice,

GB

We'll be at CCV April 12-19 for our 5th trip so I'll try to answer.

1) Yes! CCV is an excellent location for AOW dives. You have deep, sheer vertical walls, great visability...although navigating in low vis is more of a challenge! :wink:
2) Divemasters are not allowed to teach. There are new dive shop managers/Instructors there this year that I understand are very good. If the staff in the past is any indication, you'll get excellent instruction.
3) All of the DM's have been at CCV for years and all are very good. Enrique and Gringo are my favorites
4) We also always get a bungalow over the water. Whether you will need an air conditioner or not depends on your heat tolerance. It is commonly in the low to mid 80's in Mar/Apr and it very humid. We're on the Texas Gulf coast and used to the humidity. If you're not used to it, you'll likely be wishing you had that A/C! It can get quite warm in the afternoons but we usually use a light blanket at night. The sea breezes blowing through there can get chilly! Just depends on what you're used to and what you tolerate well.

leadweight once bubbled...
Why bother with AOW at this point? Are you running into boat captains that insist on it no matter what. I thought they back off if you have a log book to show them.

I'm not quite sure why... No one has ever asked for AOW cert. However, you notice I only have 200 dives in those 20 years. I no longer have any interest in diving cold grey Boston water. Therefore I only get to dive on trips to the Caribbean. That means an average of just over 1 diving week a year. Not a lot.

While I'm comfortable and confident in the water, I still feel my skills need improving. It's been 20 years since my BOW class, and I've practiced mask clearing about 3 times since, and air sharing twice. I feel a definite rustiness in many basic skills.

In the last few years I've been diving more, and think that I could benefit from the course. Also my girlfriend has only been certified for 4 years and would like to take the course.

Do you think the course would be a waste of time? I havn't spoken to many people about it, but the few I did, gave me the impression that it was worthwhile .

GB

Considering what you have said, I don't think the AOW is a waste of time. The only reason I asked is quite a few experienced divers that have their act together have been intimidated into AOW courses by US based dive operators, particularly on the East coast, who require the AOW card for anything more than a cakewalk dive. They do take a logbook, but that is on their discretion.

Based on your experience, I imagine you'll find AOW to be quite easy, but it's a stepping stone to Rescue which I highly recommend. Also, I'm sure you'll enjoy CCV!

Back
Top Bottom