Cococay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Ash

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has been here diving?

http://www.destinationoceans.com/royal_caribbean.asp?pageID=137

My wife and I are going on a cruise and this is one of the ports (apparently owned by Royal Caribbean) she is a certified diver but is afraid to scuba in the ocean, (I am really trying hard to convince her that it will be okay...no shark gonna jump out and get her) I think I may be resigned to just snorkle with her while we are there. I'm curious if I do get to scuba when I am there if anyone has been there, done that.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Steve,

I haven't dived it because I'm not a cruiser & it is Royal Caribbean's private island. I know where it is, however (used to be Little Stirrup Cay), and have dived in the area on a number of occasions.

However, based on what I've heard about CocoCay the scuba seems a real dud. The sites are shallow & pretty dead. Gear can be rented by cert divers with a log book showing at least a single dive within the last 2 years (that tells you a lot right there--LOL).

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Hi Steve,

Curious about when you'll be there (at Cococay). My wife and I are cruising into the Bahamas with Royal Caribbean (Majesty of the Seas) mid July. We'll be diving Cococay, and hoping to dive the Keys on the same cruise. I've heard Cococay isn't the most interesting dive, however, it should do to blow a few bubbles (and give us an excuse to get away from the kids for a few hours).
-Barry

BKP:
Hi Steve,

Curious about when you'll be there (at Cococay). My wife and I are cruising into the Bahamas with Royal Caribbean (Majesty of the Seas) mid July. We'll be diving Cococay, and hoping to dive the Keys on the same cruise. I've heard Cococay isn't the most interesting dive, however, it should do to blow a few bubbles (and give us an excuse to get away from the kids for a few hours).
-Barry

Barry, we are going on the Mariner of the Seas the first week of October. If you do this dive would you remember to send me a PM and let me know what your thoughts were so I can decide if I want to go.

We are also going to St. Thomas and St. Maarten on this cruise ( I think that was what she told me) maybe some others have some input on those other locations as far as going there on a cruise and diving while there?

Steve,
I can give you some second hand info only as I haven't done this dive. My sister, however did do this dive two years ago and her comment was "I'll never do that again".
It (apparently) was a long swim out, around a jetty against a strong current to start, then the "dive" was basically swim as fast as you can (not much to see) turn around and swim back. Large group, lots of silting, exhausting, not fun. Again, these were her comments not mine. Just passing them on.
Ocean diving is sooooo wonderful I would hate for your wife's first experience to be negative. I did my first ocean dives in Bonaire this past January, then dove in Fiji in May, Cozumel a couple weeks ago and I'm leaving for Roatan next Saturday..... Its addictive and I'm sure I will die a poor person that has seen the world underwater and loved it.
If you do the dive, good luck, and remember to help her out and smile a lot!!!!

Thanks to both of you for the info. Good or bad it is always nice to get other peoples comments, it will help me make a informed description to my wife so she can decide if she will be comfortable with it.

Steve Ash:
Barry, we are going on the Mariner of the Seas the first week of October. If you do this dive would you remember to send me a PM and let me know what your thoughts were so I can decide if I want to go.

We are also going to St. Thomas and St. Maarten on this cruise ( I think that was what she told me) maybe some others have some input on those other locations as far as going there on a cruise and diving while there?

Steve,
I'll certainly let you know about our experience at Cococay. I've also heard both good and not so great, however, almost *any* open water (non-event) dive is a good one, sooooo...
-Barry

Guys...

though I really enjoyed the dive. It's not that great of a dive. It's just what you make of it. If you've dove in quarries all the time, it'll be a great dive. If you compare it to Bonaire, you'll be dissappointed. I had a great dive though the site wasn't that great just because I wanted to be there and wanted to dive. A few of the pics in my gallery are from that site. I'd be glad to email any more.

One thing some folks didn't like was the distance to the reef. about 150 yards. they either take you out on a jetski rescue sled or you swim out. for some folks the swim might not be a positive experience. I just made the best of it and "snorkled" my way out there. (BTW.. this is one of those dives that I suggest wearing/taking your snorkle on for that reason).

At some time in the past two years, they had a storm/hurricane dump a lot of sand on the reef, damaging it some. It lost a lot of it's color. I'm sure that affected some folks less than positive opinion about the site. I dove it in June 2005. It was still suffering some of that. But fish were still abundant as much as you would expect. The french angels in my gallery were taken there. (if they ever get the gallery working again).

We really liked the beach also. It was very relaxing. this stop was prob my favorite part of the cruise. However I have heard some people didn't like it on other trips. If the weather is bad, or food on the island is not good, that can be understandable.

One final note... if you do ride the jetski sled in/out, put your reg in your mouth before he starts up and leaves.. 2 cycle jet ski exhaust fumes are rather distastefull. Thank goodness they warned me of this.

if I can do anything to answer folks who are going questions or put up some pics. let me know.

-mike

I did the cruise/dive a couple summers ago and it was an easy dive, no doubt. Actually it was rather boring. I had forgotten about the jet ski experience to get out there. That wasn't such a big deal (it was actually kind of fun) but a snorkel would have been handy for swimming out (if you wanted to swim). But there wasn't much to see. The coral was bleached and everything looked dead. I don't recall seeing any fish at all. But it was nice to get in the water and dive. Visability was pretty good. Much better than the vis in Key West. We learned later they had been dredging there which ruined the vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom